Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack and Go Extremely Slow

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1166 Views, 9 Replies

Pack and Go Extremely Slow

Has anyone else experienced pack and go being extremely slow? For any project, if I attempt to pack and go the dataset (approximately 200 unique files, 500 occurrences) it can take 30 minutes or more just to search for all the downstream components that are referenced by the assembly! If i look in task manager, the pack and go process (dtdv.exe?) is only using a few % of the processor power.

This happens with any dataset, and our network performance is decent otherwise. I don't think this is isolated to our setup as I saw a similar problem at my previous employer.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have the same problem, good thing this job is by the hour, I'm making a killing doing sweet piss all.  Thanks Inventor should I send you your cut?

Message 3 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi userforums,

What pack and go options do you have selected, such as Skip Styles, Skip Libraries, etc.

It might be that using one of these options could help. If you provide a screen shot of the pack and go dialogue box, with some further details about whether you need to collect styles, libraries, etc. it might help.

If you're not sure what some of the options do, this link might help:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-B25088E2-AF91-4774-A168-C141F6147AD8

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

It takes more than 5 minutes to pop up the dialogue box so I can select what I want to pack and go.

Message 5 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Patrickwesc,

That does sound like a problem. Do you have any information with which others could work to help you resolve it? Maybe some information about your OS, your Inventor version, how your file structure is set up, antivirus programs that might be running, does it do that with all Inventor projects (*.ipj) or just one?, what have you tried so far?, etc.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 6 of 10
blair
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Just tried here on my system. I even picked a larger assembly, around 8000 items and it took not much beyond 5 seconds. As Curtis suggested, system specs would help, are the file all stored locally or on a server where you have to deal with network flow. The search is directly related to your systems hard-drive speed. When in doubt, try the good old fashioned system re-boot.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Inventor 2014 SP1

Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.7 GHZ

16 GB DDR3

240 GB SSD, Sata AHCI Controller

Nvidia Quadro K5000

Space Pilot PRo

If you want to blame this on computers maybe inventor should quit pretending like the software runs on this:

Windows® 7 (32-bit minimum, 64-bit recommended) or Windows® 8 64-bit[1]operating system

• Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD Athlon™ 64 with SSE2 technology, 3 GHz or greater, or AMD dual-core processor with SSE2, 2 GHz or greater recommended, or Intel® Xeon® E3 or Core i7 or equivalent with SSE2, 3.0 GHz or greater
  • 4 GB RAM minimum for less than 500 part assemblies (8 GB recommended)[2]
  • 15 GB free disk space for installation
  • 1,280 x 1,024 or higher screen resolution
  • Microsoft® Direct3D 9® or compatible graphics card (Microsoft® Direct3D 11® or higher recommended)
  • Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 6 or later (.NET Framework Version 4.5 web browser)
  • Microsoft® Excel® 2003 or later software for iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, thread customization, and spreadsheet-driven designs
  • Adobe® Flash® Player 10
  • Internet connection for web downloads and Subscription Aware access
  • Microsoft-compliant mouse or pointing device
  • DVD-ROM drive[3]

Oh look I only need to spend a thousand bucks on a laptop and I can run inventor!! How wonderful!!

This is a joke too.  I don't see anything about ram speed or hard drive speed.

64-bit Windows 7 or Windows 8[1]

• Xeon E3 or Core i7 or equivalent, 3.3 GHz or greater
  • 16 GB RAM or greater[2]
  • 15 GB free disk space for installation
  • 1,280 x 1,024 or higher screen resolution
  • Direct3D 9 or compatible graphics card (Direct3D 11 or higher recommended)
  • Internet Explorer 6 or later (.NET Framework Version 4.5 web browser)
  • Excel 2003 or later for iFeatures, iParts, iAssemblies, thread customization, and spreadsheet-driven designs
  • Flash Player 10
  • Internet connection for web downloads and Subscription Aware access
  • Microsoft-compliant mouse or pointing device
  • DVD-ROM drive

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Network connection

Layer 2 fiberoptic

Message 9 of 10
blair

If your hardware spec's look good, if the data is stored on your network, that becomes a whole different can of worms. Either way, just to open Pack-and-Go sounds like you have problems. Try logging in as an Administrator and see if the times improve.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Patrickwesc,

Just to clarify, are you saying that if you right-click on an asssembly file from within Windows Explorer and choose Pack and Go, that it takes 5 minutes for the pack and go dialog to come up?

or

Are you saying that the dialog comes up fine, but when you click the Search Now button to find the referenced files that it takes 5 minutes?

If you're seeing the lag when you click the Search Now button I have a hunch about what is going on. It could be that your assembly file is missing one or more references to a file(s) and is taking forever to index your project directory due to a setting in your project file. I just set up a test senario and was able to observe pack and go taking close to 10 minutes when I attempted to Search Now on an assembly file with a known missing reference.

So as a test, I would suggest closing all of your Inventor files and then going to the Get Started tab and clicing the Projects button. In the Projects editor, look in the bottom pane and expand the Options pane:

Autodesk Inventor Project Options.png

Then right click on the Using Unique Filenames setting and set it to No. Then save the changes and exit the Project editor, and then try to do a pack and go again.

If this helps things post back and I can explain why. If not, then a bit more detail about what's going on would be helpful.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report