Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PETITION: Add CANCEL or ESC Command

70 REPLIES 70
Message 1 of 71
dick_upton
1765 Views, 70 Replies

PETITION: Add CANCEL or ESC Command

It's 2012. It's HIGH TIME, Autodesk!! Stop giving us the runaround, feature request form links, the stonewalling. Stop giving us new buttons for the same old features. Listen to your users and stop putting up barricades.

Give us a CANCEL COMMAND or ESCAPE key functionality. A vast host of experienced Inventor users and gurus have begged, pleaded, cajoled for lo these many years. Enough is enough.

If you are a user and agree, please reply that you agree.

Autodesk, in case you haven't been reading these forums, here's a short list of threads throughout the years. The requesters reads like a who's who of Inventor users, mentors, and distinguished contributors. FOR 10 YEARS now:

Starting with:

Leo Laimer, Ed Rassmusen, Peer Hoffmann, 2002: http://tinyurl.com/7bm5ysg

If you are a user and agree, please reply that you agree.

70 REPLIES 70
Message 61 of 71
falkmassmann
in reply to: dick_upton

D ick, count me in. I´m feeling this pain. Using Inventor since v4 and always had these moments where I dreamt about stoping Inventor from doing what it´s doing when I realised: "This is not going to happen".

For example showing surface curvature and setting the resolution too high.

Autodesk, show us longterm users a little respect and state something so we can keep our faith in you Smiley Indifferent

cheers Falk

P.S.: Your name isn´t youth approved lol

Message 62 of 71
mrattray
in reply to: falkmassmann

It sure would have been nice to have a cancel command when I accidently typed 603 degrees instead of 60.

capture.jpg

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 63 of 71
tsreagan
in reply to: mrattray

Agree!!

Lightscape had a cancel (to keep you from being stuck rendering for 20 years.)

They even had a "shift" cancel (I beleive)for those who didn't want to wait for the regular cancel.

Not saying we need two levels of cancel....   one would be good though 🙂

Message 64 of 71
mrattray
in reply to: tsreagan

!

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 65 of 71
blentner
in reply to: dick_upton

Agreed.  I'm working with 2013 with an assembly file created in earlier versions.  Just adding a mating constraint to an added component takes several minutes to resolve, and I killed Inventor twice now, thinking that it choked for some (yet another reason... 2013 sucks!).  It has long been a complaint of mine that there is no command cancel.  How dumb is that.

Message 66 of 71

Hi blentner,

There is an existing IdeaStation idea for this. Please lend your support by giving this idea a kudo:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/ESC-key-stop-operation/idi-p/3733288

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 67 of 71
cbenner
in reply to: blentner

@blentner wrote:

Agreed.  I'm working with 2013 with an assembly file created in earlier versions.  Just adding a mating constraint to an added component takes several minutes to resolve, and I killed Inventor twice now, thinking that it choked for some (yet another reason... 2013 sucks!).  It has long been a complaint of mine that there is no command cancel.  How dumb is that.

If you are taking several minutes to apply one constraint, I think that maybe an escape command is not your biggest concern.  Sounds like you may have some underlying issues.

Message 68 of 71
mrattray
in reply to: blentner

As Chris said, you probably have something wrong with your constraints. Either you have too much going on all in one assembly when you should be making use of sub-assemblies or you have errors that you are attempting to ignore.
Either way, it may help as a band-aid if you try using the "defer updates" option.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 69 of 71
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mrattray

Hi! We are aware of this request and we are actively working on improvements. If you are interested in future projects in Inventor, please sign up for Inventor Beta.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 70 of 71
WHolzwarth
in reply to: johnsonshiue

How about a dead-time for Cancel/ESC?

Meaning a scan only at 15 s - 30 s - 45 s. The user has to press ESC for a max. time of 15s between these scans, but it would be better than waiting for several minutes until final Taskmanager break, without any chance for a rebuild of work after the last saving.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 71 of 71
mrattray
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I am in the beta program.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report