Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF to DWG to Scalable Inventor 2013 Sketch - Spline Control Vertice Issue

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
paul
4137 Views, 5 Replies

PDF to DWG to Scalable Inventor 2013 Sketch - Spline Control Vertice Issue

I have a client who is replacing a large fleet of machines located in premises throughout the country. In theory the replacement program should be straightforward..... however machine dimensions have increased slightly, new service access doors have been added and user control switches and indicators have moved. I have Inventor Assemblies of the machines to show the door and body changes, but not the complex user interface panel (buttons and switches). If I could only import a sketch of the interface panel, it would look great in an Inventor drawing and I could dimension the all important position of components on the interface panel.

I have PDF drawings of the fascia panels which I can import to Adobe Illustrator and save as a DWG. When I look at the DWG in AutoCAD Mechanical, all looks well. When I import the drawing to Inventor part sketch however lots of spline control vertices appear. I cant delete the control vertices in AutoCAD or the drawing falls to pieces when imported to Inventor.

How then do I hide the vertices from my sketch in Inventor. Am I doing things the hard way? Are there shortcuts to importing PDFs in Inventor?

Inventor 2013 sketch mode is excellent as I only have to change one dimension to scale my sketch. I can also stretch/manipulate the sketch to make up for any errors in the original PDF.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mpatchus
in reply to: paul

You could save the pdf as an image file (jpg, png, gif, etc) and use it as a decal on the Inventor parts as an alternative workflow.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
paul

Thanks for your email. I ended up scaling and simplifying the drawing in Illustrator. Inventor just didn't like the dwg files I was bringing in; everything kind of ground to a halt. The splines don't show in the Inventor drawing but they sure seemed to affect performance. Cheers, Paul

Message 4 of 6
philipjs

I usually use Adobe Illustrator and Any PDF to DWG Converter. Adobe Illustrator is a powerful application that can convert PDF to DWG, Any PDF to DWG Converter convert PDF to DWG/DXF in batch mode.

Message 5 of 6
michael_lando

I have used Aide PDF to DXF Converter and it works fine. It converts vector pdf drawings into the CAD format. If the PDF is raster based, the software will create an drawing but not 100% editable.

Message 6 of 6
wmgshurik

For Acad 2017 and Inventor 2017 - import PDF in Acad drawing then import DWG to Inventor Sketch.

11.jpg22.jpg

3.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report