Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overall model dimensions in title block

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Huppertz
1287 Views, 6 Replies

Overall model dimensions in title block

Hello,

I'm looking for a solution to place the overall model dimensions in the title block.

We have a box (Promted entry) in our company title block were we manually typ our overall dimension of a part (or in some cases assembly). 

For our planning engineer this is easy because he can easy see the dimensions of the "base material" or the size of a container / box in case of an assembly.

The risk that sometimes people forget to change these dimension when the model is changes.

Now I'm looking for a solution (e.g. VBA / iLogic) to place the overall dimensions Automatically in the title block.

The overall dimensions are available in the "BIM Exchange" menu > Check Design. Maybe these dimensions can be used.

We're using Inventor 2014.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: Huppertz

You should be able to pull the LENGTH, WIDTH & HEIGHT dimensions from the model into the drawing iProperties, which then can be used in your title block.

Suggestions

1. Include the overall dimensions as NAMED PARAMETERS in the model.
  2. Ine the IDW Environment you will need to do the following:
  3. TOOLS Tab:  Select the Model iProperties to be Copied
  4. MANAGE Tab: UPDATE COPIED PROPERTIES to transfer the selected model iProperties.
  5. Modify your Title Block Definition to utilize the copied iProperties.

Obviously you would want to do all of this in your IDW template.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: Huppertz

I solve this by drawing every part in the sheet metal template (it doesn't have to be drawn using sheet metal tools). I then flat blank every single part (it doesn't matter that there's nothing to actually unfold) and use the flat pattern extents parameters to populate the length, width, and thickness, boxes in my title blocks.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 7
paul.huppertz
in reply to: mrattray

@ Matt

This could be an easy (possible) option indeed.
It's a structural change in work method.

Message 5 of 7
paul.huppertz
in reply to: mpatchus

@Mike,

Do you have an suggestion how to pull the LENGTH, WIDTH & HEIGHT dimensions into the iProperties?
If I understand you correctly I have to add dimensions in the drawing and the overall dimensions I need to make Named parameters?

It is not possible to automatically recognize the overall dimensions?
Message 6 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: paul.huppertz

The H W & L dimensions aren't added to the drawing, they are part of the model.

I'll try and do some screen caps later on my other computer and post them here.  For some reason I can't post photos from this computer now, since IT decided to reimage my box.  😞 

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 7
mrattray
in reply to: paul.huppertz

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report