Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orbit with Mouse Scroll Wheel?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Anonymous
6466 Views, 30 Replies

Orbit with Mouse Scroll Wheel?

Hello, I've just started with Inventor 2009 and have found that you as default you cannot orbit around by pressing in the mouse scroll wheel, holding ctrl (or shift) and moving around.

This works in AutoCAD 2009 3D and all other 3D software I have used, so I'm assuming that there is a simple setting somewhere to activate this?
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
stephengibson76
in reply to: Anonymous

hold f4 and use the LMB
Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 3 of 31
JDMather

If you are serious about 3D (any program) 3dconnexion.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 31
swalton

I used to map F4 to my wheel button in my mouse driver. (doesn't work for xp64 and my mouse). Lucklly, I won a space pilot at a user's group meeting, so I don't need the mapping anymore.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 31
mikevick

So did you find out how you can change the default setting so that you can orbit with the mouse wheel as it is much easier than f4 button. thanks

Message 6 of 31
delineryan

On my system, if I hold "shift" and hold the scroll wheel down it will orbit the model.  I use a Spaceball though.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Message 7 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: mikevick

@mikevick wrote:

So did you find out how you can change the default setting so that you can orbit with the mouse wheel as it is much easier than f4 button. thanks

What version of Inventor are you using?  Works here on 2011.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 31
mikevick
in reply to: JDMather

2009 it just pans and i cant find the settings for it

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous

as others have mentioned, this varies per mouse.

If it's a MS mouse the defaults are different than say logitech. If I recall, we have a couple of MS mice here, that were defaulted as you describe. Just go to the control panel and Mouse settings and have a look. Also you might post back with the model mouse you have and someone who has that one can look at their settings.

Message 10 of 31
JDMather

@mikevick wrote:

I don't think this was added until 2010.

I recommend you purchase a 3D Connexion Space Navigator anyhow.  Best $59 investment for CAD you can make.

Message 11 of 31
mikevick

I have a standard dell mouse. Any idea what i should change the settings of the roller button to? Is there a point buying the mouse if i cant get that button to work? thanks for your speedy replies too

Message 12 of 31
JDMather

@mikevick wrote:

Is there a point buying the mouse if i cant get that button to work?

Not sure if this question is in reference to the 3D Connexion Space Navigator.

The Navigator is not a mouse - you use in you left hand to zoom, rotate, pan and use your mouse in right hand to left pick, right click context menus...... 

The Navigator will zoom, pan, and rotate all in the same motion - it is very much like holding the part or assembly in your hand.  In fact I observe users constantly rotating their model with the Navigator while they are working or simply thinking as it gives a sense of 3D space. 

Indispensable for filleting and Routed Systems in particular.

At AU Cob Rohee kept referring to "gratuitous" rotating in his presentation, but I have observed that it really helps in the design process to have the model constantly shifted around.  What is it we tell a very young kid when observing some precious artifact - look, but don't touch.  But they want to touch, hold, manipulate the object to understand the object.  That is what these 3D Connnexion devices do for us as designers.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacenavigator.html

Oh, it also works great with Google Earth.  Before I go to any new city I "fly" through the streets on my intended route so that when I arrive I already know my way around.

I don't like the default settings (particularly for Pan/Zoom) so experiment with different settings.

Message 13 of 31
jeanchile

Have you tried setting the mouse wheel button press to "MIddle Button". If I remember right, that did the trick for us.

Inventor Professional
Message 14 of 31
cbenner
in reply to: JDMather

When I first took this job, my background having been mainly 2D, I foolishly resisted the offered Space Explorer.  Now after having it trustily at my side to the left of my keyboard the last 3 years, I don't know how I ever got along without it.

Message 15 of 31
blair
in reply to: cbenner

I used to give all the"Space-Ballers" on this forum a bad time. I tried a 3D mouse about seven years ago and will never go back.

They can pry my 3D mouse from my cold dead hand.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 31
mikevick
in reply to: blair

So i got rid of the old dell mouse and replaced it with a wireless laser mouse 8000 microsoft. and i changed the settings to middle click in the control panel but im still getting pan when i press the middle button 😞

Message 17 of 31
jeanchile

I apologize if you've tried this as you've mentioned it above but, is it safe to assume you've tried holding down the shift key while you do this? I've checked several of our computers that don't have a 3D controller and the mouse wheel click is set to "Middle Button" and holding that + shift will orbit the model no matter what make and model of mouse.

If you've done this and it still doesn't work... well.. I'm tapping outSmiley Sad. You'll need someone smarter than me (which shouldn't be hard to find).

I must add though the earliest version we have loaded is 2010.

Inventor Professional
Message 18 of 31
JDMather

@mikevick wrote:

and i changed the settings to middle click in the control panel but im still getting pan when i press the middle button 😞

@mikevick wrote:

01/20/2011 JD Mather wrote,

I don't think this was added until 2010. (Shift hold wheel ).

I recommend you purchase a 3D Connexion Space Navigator anyhow.  Best $59 investment for CAD you can make.

Message 19 of 31
HarryP108

I sometimes think some of you guys must be on the pay roll at 3D ConnexionSmiley Happy

Jokes aside - I have been using Inventor for around 5 years now. Love the software.

I recently had to use Solidworks for some university work and absolutely loved the orbit with wheel mouse.

I purchased a Space Navigator 3 or so years ago and it sits dormant on my desk - I just cannot get used to using it, and when I do have a crack it slows me down so much, so I just revert back to the old F4.

Not for a minute knocking the Space Navigator - would love some tips on how to get used to the darn thing, tutorials etc?

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 20 of 31
jeanchile
in reply to: HarryP108

It's like any of the "technological" advances in my opinion (the Ribbon comes to mind). At first I can't believe I took the plunge. I force myself to do it. A few months later I can't believe I ever did it the old way.

I was forced to give a presentation at a clients office where I didn't have my 3D mouse the other day. I couldn't do it! I looked like such an idiot Smiley Tongue!

One of them asked me at one point: "can we see this from the other angle" and my direct response was "probably... give me about 5 minutes and I'll see if I can get it over there". They laughed and then spent 15 minutes asking me about a 3D mouse and how it works. Maybe I should work for 3D Connexion on the side.

Oh.. I forgot. I actually played the puzzle game that came with mine for a few minutes each day while I was learning it. Also, getting familiar with the settings and what they do was really helpful to me as well. Good Luck!

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report