Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening .ipn Files in AutoCAD

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jolly_1.8t
1541 Views, 5 Replies

Opening .ipn Files in AutoCAD

I just started an internship at an engineering firm, and they are interested in using a few of my drawings that I have done on Inventor Pro 2013. They currently use AutoCAD2011. I am thinking that it is not a possibility, but, is there any way that I can open one of my .ipn files from Invetor into a file that AutoCAD recognizes and can open?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi jolly_1.8t,

What are they wanting to do with the IPN file in AutoCAD? Do they just want a 2D block, or do they want a 3D solid, or something else?

Depending upon the answer, there might a solution.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6
jolly_1.8t
in reply to: jolly_1.8t

They are wanting to use my 3D drawing in there site plans.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: jolly_1.8t

Models are 3d (*.ipt or *.iam).

Drawings are 2d (*.idw or *.dwg) (perhaps 2d representation of 3d views)

I assume that what you want to do is create a 2d drawing (*.dwg ) in Inventor and use your *.ipn to place views.

or

maybe more information is needed.  (the usual purpose if using ipn is for exploded assembly views)

Can you attach example files or screen shot?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
jolly_1.8t
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, but im having some issue attaching an example. Pretty much, they would like to have a 3D isometric view placed into their site plans, which are .dwg files on AutoCAD. I appreciate your help as well.

Message 6 of 6

Hi jolly_1.8t,

You can create a 2D Inventor drawing using the Inventor DWG template , or create a copy of your Inventor IDW by using the Save As option and setting it to Inventor DWG.

Then in the Inventor DWG create your Isometic view and then rightclick on the isometric view that your AutoCAD people want to use, and then choose Insert in Model Space.

Autodesk Inventor DWG Insert Model Space.png

Then save the DWG file and now the AutoCAD users can open this DWG file in AutoCAD and should find an AutoCAD block of your Inventor view. They can then copy and paste it into their own drawing as needed, or if they want a dynamic link to your Inventor data, they can use an X-reference. If using the X-reference then when you update your model, it will update the drawing view, which will update the AutoCAD block, which will update their X-reference.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report