Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening .idw crashes Inventor 2012

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
nickv02
1101 Views, 10 Replies

Opening .idw crashes Inventor 2012

Using Inventor 2012.

I have a .idw file with a Parts List in it that is linked to a .iam Assembly file.  If I open Inventor and attempt to open my .idw first, the program will crash.  If I open the .iam file, and THEN open the .idw, it works fine.  I have done the 'Manage' --> 'Rebuild All' function on all my files including the .iam, and it works once.  Then the next time I go to open the .idw on it's own, it crashes again. 

Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sam_m
in reply to: nickv02

have you migrated all the data?  sometimes these crashes occur when the idw or some of the components are still saved in the older-release.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 11
nickv02

Everything was made in Inventor 2012.  I have had no other versions of the software.

Message 4 of 11
karthur1

Try restarting inventor, then open just the idw.  In the open dialog, click options and check the defer updates button.  If it gets open then go to  Tools>Doc settings, drawing tab and uncheck the defer updates.

Sometimes it gets confused.

Message 5 of 11
nickv02
in reply to: karthur1

Thank you for the response.

Yes, if I check "defer updates", the file will open.  Then I go to Tools - Doc Settings and uncheck defer.

Is this something I will have to do every time?  Because I saved the file, went and did something else, and tried to reopen the .idw (without checking 'defer updates') and it crashed again.

Message 6 of 11
karthur1

"Usually" not something that you have to do everytime.  I just use it on occasions when Inventor crashes when its opening an idw.  Most of the time after I get the idw updated and saved, it opens fine after that. 

Under tools>App options, here is how i run.  Is this what you use?

2012-04-16_1133.png

Message 7 of 11
nickv02

Mine is crashing every time unless I open it with defer updates.

I did not have those same settings, I changed them on my AppOptions and will test it out.

Message 8 of 11
karthur1

Try checking all 4 boxes and then save it when you get it open.  Are you using vault?

Message 9 of 11
nickv02

Not using Vault.

It's funny, because I can do these operations, and the .idw files will open and close just fine, until I open the assembly files they are linked to, and save them or do something in them, then the .idw files crash the program when I try to open them.

On the other hand, if I have *any* other, not even related file, open in Inventor, the .idw's will open just fine. 

Message 10 of 11
yun_chen_autodesk

Hi

Can you send the dataset to yun.chen@autodesk.com so that we can take a quick look?

Thanks,

Yun Chen

Inventor Development

Yun Chen
Sr. Software Architect - Autodesk Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 11
nickv02
in reply to: yun_chen_autodesk

Email sent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report