Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Inventor 2013 .ipt in Inventor 2012

122 REPLIES 122
SOLVED
Message 1 of 123
connorzwick
29677 Views, 122 Replies

Open Inventor 2013 .ipt in Inventor 2012

Hi,

I have a relativly basic ipt file in 2013 that I would like to open up in 2012 on another machine. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can open it up and edit it? It's kind of crucial and I assumed I'd be able to since the part used nothing besides the rudimentary tools that have been in inventor since the beginning...

Right now, I'm getting a "Database schema...which is newer than this version".

Thanks!

Tags (2)
122 REPLIES 122
Message 101 of 123
sam_m
in reply to: Paul-Mason

I so want to mark this as a solution...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 102 of 123
mpatchus
in reply to: sam_m

One possible solution!!!!

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 103 of 123
not2013

Telling the truth is not whinning. We are trying to help others to see that inventor is unstable so they do not have to go thru the same negative ordeals that we are facing.

WHY can't you face the truth that inventor is unstable?

Why do you care anyway if we have negative things to say about inventor?  How can this be of any concern of yours unless you being paid to promote autodesk products?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 104 of 123
not2013
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I tried as you suggested to un-select "loop select", and it does nothing now.  It does not allow you to offset to a large or smaller entity, it only highlights it in red.

This is about the 20th time I receive bogus info from this forum.

THIS SOFTWARE WORKS DIFFERENT FROM COMPUTER TO COMPUTER and on my computer from month to month.

Stick to the truth and you can retain your soul.  Making up lies to get by is not the way of excelling in life. 

I will pray for you today in hopes that you can better handle the truth in your future.

Have a nice day.  It's fast to do this in SOLIDWORKS.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 105 of 123
LT.Rusty
in reply to: not2013

@not2013 wrote:

I tried as you suggested to un-select "loop select", and it does nothing now.  It does not allow you to offset to a large or smaller entity, it only highlights it in red.

This is about the 20th time I receive bogus info from this forum.

THIS SOFTWARE WORKS DIFFERENT FROM COMPUTER TO COMPUTER and on my computer from month to month.

IT IS AS UNSTABLKE AS YOUR POST.

Stick to the truth and you can retain your soul.  Making up lies to get by is not the way of excelling in life. 

I will pray for you today in hopes that you can better handle the truth in your future.

Have a nice day.  It's fast to do this in SOLIDWORKS.

First off ... I'm a ginger, so I don't have a soul.

Second, after you select the curve segments that you want to offset - which, yes, highlights them in red - you need to right-click and select continue.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 106 of 123
mpatchus
in reply to: not2013

Hmmm... it is unusual if I experience a program crash, while working on an assembly containing over 45,000 parts.

Is that what you consider unstable?

I'd like to see what monstrosity you are working on to cause all of you stability issues.

I'm not even running what I would consider a high-end computer either.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 107 of 123
Ryan.Martinez

Stop feeding the trolls please. This guy has no clue about anything.

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 108 of 123
mccann25
in reply to: mpatchus

I routinely work on assemblies of 40-300 parts and it makes no difference whether I use Dual Core at Work or i7 at home, it crashes crashes and crashes, whereas I use SolidWorks and it does a lot more with a lot more ease and of course it does NOT crash. AutoDesk needs to stick withAutoCAD, or at least start with AutoCAD as a base and completely build Inventor on the platform with the same workability object snaps and the OFFSET command with the same versatility as in AutoCAD and in SolidWorks. I've worked on assemblies in SolidWorks of thousands of parts and still did not crash.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 109 of 123
sam_m
in reply to: mccann25

Bottom line - do you need your job and what software does your job use?

I have to admit that if I picked up Solidworks tormorrow I'd be scratching my head and no doubt frustrated about "why doesn't it work like Inventor" but I think I'd spend my time trying to learn it instead of wasting that time bitching on the SW forum about how their software doesn't work how I expect...  Who do you think goes further in life, someone able to adapt and overcome or someone who digs in their heels expecting the world to change around them?

The problem is tho...  If you were to eventually realize it's only beneficial to be competant in multiple software packages, and know the pros and cons of each, then how much time and help do you expect from people here when you come asking serious questions, given the attitude and behaviour thus far?

As for stability - I honestly rarely have a problem, like once a month, if that.  Like the issues with "it's Inventor fault it doesn't work as I'm used to" I can only presume the problem lies between keyboard and monitor and the system has been setup and looked after poorly.

So...  I go back to my 1st question...  do you need your job and what software do they require you to use?  If they use Inventor and you need the job then man up princess!  Or is it a case that they were advertising for Inventor users and you claimed you'd used Solidworks "but it's all similar" and now in the deep end and struggling?!?  If you are only able to use Solidworks, as it seems to be suggesting by your rants, then cut your losses and get a job with Solidworks...

Something else I'd think about - how long do you think a company will keep a new employee who's busy cursing software and blaming it for a lack of productivity, constantly pointing fingers and claiming something else was better, instead of showing initiative and a desire to further themselves and overcome the obsticles???

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 110 of 123
mccann25

You really can't overcome software that is like driving a Model "T" Ford which is Inventor. Inventor is like changing your tire and having someone take your lugnuts and throw them across the street, roll your tire down the street, and hide 4 way all at the same time. I don't know how many time Inventor says failed to create dimension or failed to trim curve in sketch mode. I have almost as much experience with Inventor as I do with SolidWorks, and I've never seen SolidWorks actually tell me it failed to do something, crash, or throw my lugnuts across the street (referring to my analogy) SolidWorks anticipates my next move with accuracy. Inventor anticipates my next move as the opposite of my intended operation, unless Inventor's intent is to be very frustrating. I hate the have to unselect a sketch inside of an extrusion before editing, SolidWorks does not require this at all, it adapts itself to what you are doing. I learned Inventor first years after learning AutoCAD, and was thinking man, This is frustrating but continued with my classes getting As in both, I then started learning SolidWorks, it was equally frustrating, but then the frustration level decreased. The frustration level with Inventor has decreased just not the same rate as SolidWorks. The frustration level only decreased with Inventor by moving from Inventor 2012 to 2014. I have used SolidWorks 2010, 2012, 2013 with great ease after the initial stumbling blocks couple days of new software. Inventor is just so overwhelmingly frustrating. I have already recommended to my boss to order SolidWorks in next years budget. When work ordered Inventor, they had NO knowledge of 3D modeling software, but my complaints of crashing all the time have been heard all too many times from Inventor.
Message 111 of 123
riff62

So, from your many descriptions of Inventor crashing, which seems to be with anything you try to accomplish, you have recommended that the company switch software..and based on complaints of 1 person who has worked at that company for what?..six months?..they decided to listen to you?..you can post all you want about how easy it is to use Solidworks compared to Inventor..the fact remains that you just are not skilled enough in parametric modeling to understand concepts and expect the software to think for you..you had a month of Inventor training with what you admit was an inept instructor, and you are condemning a software that you barely know how to use, even if you got all As in every class you have taken...either that or you have some other issue going on with your modeling techniques that Inventor is unable to overcome. Either way, if I was the company you worked for, I would first look at the software installation, specs for computers you use, and then start questioning your methods of model creation, talk to my reseller, and get you some additional training regardless of how much of a guru you think you are. Then at least I as a company owner have covered all my bases before entertaining the idea of throwing away months or years of work done in Inventor based on the grumbling of a pissed off user. Inventor has it's quirks, just like every other piece of software. The trick is to learn how to use it effectively, which you have not. Good luck with Solidworks. I for one, am glad I won't have to read your derogatory posts about a software you don't know how to use...
Message 112 of 123
sam_m
in reply to: riff62

you can read a lot about people by the way they come across on a forum; I honestly get the impression that people like JD Mather and the late Dennis Jeffrey would bend over backwards to help out their fellow man.  Sooo...  you have to ponder how others might be like in real life...

I have to admit, if I was the employer I would be questioning why their previous Inventor user(s) weren't whinging, constantly finger-pointing and justifying their lack of productivity on the software in the way you can only assume a certain someone probably is (given their behavious here).  Would you want such a "team player" working for you?  If it's a recent job and people are still within probationary periods I'd be looking at the re-recruitment option before re-training...

Sam M.

Message 113 of 123
mccann25

It's funny how of these issues have taken place with SolidWorks, and my issues mimic the vast majority of the complaints on this blog. I am the only designer here where I work, none of the engineers have any 3D modeling knowledge. I am well past the shortcomings of my Inventor teacher. I had 5 months of Inventor classes not 1, I have learned far more in the 6 months here than I did in school, but it is still not SolidWorks. I have already tackled the video card, memory and processor ideal requirements, still crashes, it was crashing in class. Why persevere with a model "T" Ford when there is a 21st century parametric software on the market. I've never heard as many people complain about SW as Inventor. I know quite a bit about about how to use Inventor, didn't have a choice, but the shortcomings are way too much. The added variables to apply for holes, no library of bolts, nuts are why the cost of Inventor should be way less. When a design changes drastically the deselecting of sketches in the extrusion are a complete nuisance or the entire extrusion is gone. I really miss SolidWorks. I can't believe SW came first, and Autodesk couldn't have made it more user friendly, and why Inventor dictastes these failed to dimension or failed to trim errors. The failed to trim earlier was finally allowed after I deleted an arc in the vicinity of the circle I was trying to trim, but unrelated. Maybe that is why SolidWorks is the industry standard standard of the mid-range software, kind of like how AutoCAD is the industry standard in 2D. Why are you guys so defensive about Inventor's shortcomings, is it your child that you helped create or something? Geesh can't handle constructive criticism.
Message 114 of 123
mccann25

you can read a lot about people by the way they come across on a forum; I honestly get the impression that people like JD Mather and the late Dennis Jeffrey would bend over backwards to help out their fellow man. Sooo... you have to ponder how others might be like in real life...

I have to admit, if I was the employer I would be questioning why their previous Inventor user(s) weren't whinging, constantly finger-pointing and justifying their lack of productivity on the software in the way you can only assume a certain someone probably is (given their behavious here). Would you want such a "team player" working for you? If it's a recent job and people are still within probationary periods I'd be looking at the re-recruitment option before re-training...

This company did not purchase Inventor until they hired me, they relied solely on a 2D software of less than AutoCAD caliber. I bend over backwards to help people out, guessing comment aimed at me, not sure on what merit. You say companies that buy Inventor, I've seen a whole (3) in two years, compared to hundreds that bought SolidWorks. Your comments are very funny, you perceive me to very unproductive, and not a team player, who else is going to complete the vast assembly projects if I can't do them. I wouldn't still be on the job if I wasn't good at parametirc 3D modeiling and if I wasn't productive or wasn't a team player employment would not be maintained. I would be a lot more productive if a certain Model "T" Ford behaved a lot more like the compeitition, whereas the competition already is the industry standard.
Message 115 of 123
riff62

Constructive criticism is stating the problem in a logical way and attempting to provide a solution. Stating the software suck, the company that made the software sucks, the people who taught you to use the software suck, etc, is not constructive..you are getting responses from people who know how to use the software and have been doing so for years..you come here after 5 months of sub par training and some months of real world use, saying I miss Solidworks, and people are going to at first try to offer you assistance with whatever specific issue you might have, as long as you are willing to accept that the way you are doing things could possibly be wrong. But, your arrogance has shown that you refuse to accept this novel idea. After you continue to complain that again, the software doesn't work, you are going to get jerks like me responding to you. You think the software sucks, and are moving on to Solidworks..guess what?..we don't care..you don't want to do anything but bitch about it, so move on..we wish you luck..we will still be here if you need some real help with something, which is testament to the level of dedication on this site..
Message 116 of 123
mccann25

I have provided solutions to my problems you just refuse to acknowledge. These emails keep appearing in my mailbox to a volume of 30+ in the past week all of a sudden, without a comment from me in over a year assuming that is how you got my email address, this is a help venue? I thought it was a blog, You could have fooled me by looking at the comments. I didn't say we switched to SW, I said I suggested it in the yearly list of what needs to be purchased for this department in regards to software, equipment, and computer upgrades, this way they can how much money is needing to be spent, 2013 is still in full force, 2014 has yet to begin. I guess the "sub par education" you speak of was had by you as well.
Message 117 of 123
riff62

Yeah..I should read more carefully, I guess..I thought moving to Solidworks was a done deal..my bad..rather than feed anymore into this, let's just agree to disagree..I don't have time to bicker back and forth...
Next topic please....
Message 118 of 123
cbell1007
in reply to: connorzwick

Can someone explain how to open and Inventor 2014 drawing in Inventor 2012? I am trying to share files with my co-worker. I have 2014 he has 2012. 

Message 119 of 123
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: cbell1007

you can't
P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 120 of 123
d123rw

Autodesk has lost lots of money with AutoCAD being able to be saved backward compatible. That let you send files to customers that didn't have the latest versions, and you could still do business with each other. Even the dxf files were version based, but you could save to any previous version.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report