I wish i could check accept solution on JD's post

PDS 2014
PDS 2015
*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 62 of 119 (943 Views)

Re: Open Inventor 2013 .ipt in Inventor 2012

10-03-2012 12:05 PM in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

JD actually authored the accepted solution in post #3.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Distinguished Contributor
Ryan.Martinez
Message 63 of 119 (935 Views)

10-03-2012 12:22 PM in reply to: mrattray

Oh really? Well then 2x for read the book…

PDS 2014
PDS 2015
Active Contributor
mccann25
Message 64 of 119 (894 Views)

10-03-2012 09:31 PM in reply to: JDMather

Dude, you're way off base on this one. Everything was dimensioned, I have never learned how to turn off the dimensions. The dimensions and constraints have nothing to do with the issues I spoke about, Not One Thing. I have faithfully read the book word for word 100% thus far. I even went into sketch mode in my drawing when whoever first said that and low and behold what did I see DIMENSIONS, yet you say I had none. How do you draw in Inventor without turning the the dimension button off, I'm not deleting them, yet you say they are non existent, that is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE. If there were no dimensions, there would be no extrusions, heck there wouldn't be anything saved, cause I never would have made it out of sketch mode, since you can't save while in sketch mode. The book issue was cited because of the lack of knowledge about the STP and IGS files. The model that was sent to me for downloading looks just like my model except for it was done in less steps, and is non-existent with lines, which I already said I tried to clean up, and it killed the drawing. Years of Inventor experience will refine your process. I buddy of mine tried for a day and half to extrude sheet metal with 3 bends, and even an angled section per each side of four using Architectural Desktop 2005 (AutoCAD 2005 with more bells and whistles), I knocked it out in 60 minutes in 3D AutoCAD, and I hadn't worked with AutoCAD in 2 1/2 years, and he uses it everyday at work in the 2D realm, he was shocked cause he just spent 12 hours at work trying to do the same task. He was a product of teh teacher that threw the AutoCAD books at us, and provided no instruction at all. I even told him how to accomplish the task over the phone, while he wasn't as his computer after he already spent the 12 hours, He spent 12 hours on the task before he made the long distance phone call for help. I cleaned one drawings lines up yesterday in Inventor, by another method without crashing. I cleaned up the bushing and boom it killed it, Thanks heavens I saved a copy of the drawing before playing with it. The phrase you're only as good as your teacher/ book/ and school refers to not knowing techniques that weren't presented in the book, etc yet be criticized for the s same very techniques. I guess everyone jumps into inventor and becomes a master day one. The issues with Inventor have to deal with lack of being user-friendly, I am just past my 4th day of Soldiworks and have almost bypassed the placement I am with Inventor which I have already completed and ACED the first 40 hour course of Inventor, with the exception of assemblies in Soldiworks, that is how tough Inventor is to get to do what you want it to do. Half of my Soldiworks class is in my Inventor class, and guess what subject was discussed tonight without me even saying a word, the lack of user-friendly ability in Inventor. One guy has been a Soldiworks drafter for 2 years, he just doesn't have the college credit to clep out, so he's taking it, and looking into testing out of it. The advsior to our program has a field of study of computer programming, with absolutely NO knowledge of CAD or Drafting whatsoever, this is why it's just being handled now. I can solve issues with a drawing not revolving or extruding in solidworks ON MY OWN, which has been the case the first day of class. This is the ease of soldiworks. I had to have the Invntor teacher come over day 1 when I was at a stand still, as time progressed I could iron out more problems on my own, but I and the others are still greatly frustrated with Inventor, and just wish it were as user-freindly as Solidworks. This intense discussion tonight about Inventor was brought up by the guy with 2 years Soldiworks experience, cause he is still upset over last weeks Inventor class which we have tonight (Thursday Night).

Active Contributor
mccann25
Message 65 of 119 (890 Views)

10-03-2012 09:33 PM in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

I looked for the Accept post button several times over the last several days, and can not find it.

Active Contributor
mccann25
Message 66 of 119 (888 Views)

10-03-2012 09:38 PM in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

Why would you take a class in college, if you weren't going to read the book? You also can't ace a class without reading the book.

Valued Contributor
PhilSaw
Message 67 of 119 (862 Views)

10-04-2012 03:49 AM in reply to: mccann25

I'm not of the standard as some of my peers on here, but this is my attempt that took 10 minutes.

I could have reduced the number of commands by including the chamfers in a cut sketch and also the slots as one cut, rather than a mirror.

I'm not entirely sure why there are so many redundant sketches dotted about the model tree?

Also, I completely agree with various contributor opinion that nearly all of the sketches are unconstrained - you should see a text line in the bottom right corner of your screen telling you how many dimensions are required to fully constrain your sketch.

I disagree with your statement about the lack of intuitiveness regarding the hole feature function - anybody with a reasonable working knowledge of engineering and CAD should be able to interrogate and understand it within a matter of minutes.

As JD often points out, if there is obvious symmetry, create sketches about the starting work planes - this can help in assembling and in general is good practice.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Intel(R) Core(TM i7-2600 CPU, Quadro 2000 graphics card, 8G RAM
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 68 of 119 (849 Views)

10-04-2012 04:33 AM in reply to: mccann25

mccann25 wrote:

Dude, you're way off base on this one. Everything was dimensioned....

I have already completed and ACED the first 40 hour course of Inventor

I think you are right, I am clueless.  I don't know how to get perfect geometry without dimensions in Inventor (see slots in Sketch3) I added the dimensions in the attached image and indicated the projected origin.

You obviously "ACED" this class as the evidence indicates.

I'm having trouble, not with reading your explanation - I read it all, but I'm having trouble with reading comprehension.  I'm guess I don't have the best aptitude for this, so I will bow out now.  Good luck with your SolidWorks class and future career.

Exhibit 1.png

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 69 of 119 (841 Views)

10-04-2012 04:43 AM in reply to: mccann25

mccann25 wrote:

I looked for the Accept post button several times over the last several days, and can not find it.

This is not your thread, therefore you cannot accept a solution. This thread was originaly about (lack of) backwards compatibility of Inventor.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Distinguished Contributor
not2013
Message 70 of 119 (410 Views)

11-06-2013 11:29 AM in reply to: mccann25

This software works.   NOT ALL OF THE TIME.  and when it does it is at 2 to 3 times the time you can do it in Solidworks.

How can you get inventor to work when it cannot identify an intersection?

answer:  very slowly

INVENTOR IS THE WORST CAD SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER USED PERIOD!

By the way autodesk did not create AUTOCAD  they bought it!

IF YOU WANT TO SPEND MORE MONEY INVENTOR IS THE 3D SOFTWARE FOR YOU.

IF YOUR SMART BUY SOLIDWORKS AT 1/2 THE PRICE. And save time and sanity as inventor is in-consistant in it's operation.

CAD softwares I used

ComputerVision   1982-1983

Autocad Rel 11 (1989) - 2011

Pro-E Rel 17 (1998) to 5.0

Catia V5R18

Soildworks 2007 & 2010

Solidworks 2010 blows away inventor 2013 in cost and time to learn and create 3D models.  Want to use inventor you better get some classes after you pay twice what Solidworks cost.  MORE TIME MORE MONEY to use Inventor. SOLIDWORKS is easy and fun for some to learn.

ALSO BEWARE OF UPDATES WITH INVENTOR.  One day you come to work and inventor no longer works the way it did the day before.  UnStable is the best definition for Inventor and Mechanical

Hope these facts have helped you.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube