Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Inventor 2013 .ipt in Inventor 2012

122 REPLIES 122
SOLVED
Message 1 of 123
connorzwick
29563 Views, 122 Replies

Open Inventor 2013 .ipt in Inventor 2012

Hi,

I have a relativly basic ipt file in 2013 that I would like to open up in 2012 on another machine. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can open it up and edit it? It's kind of crucial and I assumed I'd be able to since the part used nothing besides the rudimentary tools that have been in inventor since the beginning...

Right now, I'm getting a "Database schema...which is newer than this version".

Thanks!

Tags (2)
122 REPLIES 122
Message 61 of 123
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: JDMather

I wish i could check accept solution on JD's post

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 62 of 123
mrattray
in reply to: Ryan.Martinez

JD actually authored the accepted solution in post #3.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 63 of 123
Ryan.Martinez
in reply to: mrattray

Oh really? Well then 2x for read the book…

P.D.S. 2015
P.D.S. 2016
Message 64 of 123
mccann25
in reply to: JDMather

Dude, you're way off base on this one. Everything was dimensioned, I have never learned how to turn off the dimensions. The dimensions and constraints have nothing to do with the issues I spoke about, Not One Thing. I have faithfully read the book word for word 100% thus far. I even went into sketch mode in my drawing when whoever first said that and low and behold what did I see DIMENSIONS, yet you say I had none. How do you draw in Inventor without turning the the dimension button off, I'm not deleting them, yet you say they are non existent, that is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE. If there were no dimensions, there would be no extrusions, heck there wouldn't be anything saved, cause I never would have made it out of sketch mode, since you can't save while in sketch mode. The book issue was cited because of the lack of knowledge about the STP and IGS files. The model that was sent to me for downloading looks just like my model except for it was done in less steps, and is non-existent with lines, which I already said I tried to clean up, and it killed the drawing. Years of Inventor experience will refine your process. I buddy of mine tried for a day and half to extrude sheet metal with 3 bends, and even an angled section per each side of four using Architectural Desktop 2005 (AutoCAD 2005 with more bells and whistles), I knocked it out in 60 minutes in 3D AutoCAD, and I hadn't worked with AutoCAD in 2 1/2 years, and he uses it everyday at work in the 2D realm, he was shocked cause he just spent 12 hours at work trying to do the same task. He was a product of teh teacher that threw the AutoCAD books at us, and provided no instruction at all. I even told him how to accomplish the task over the phone, while he wasn't as his computer after he already spent the 12 hours, He spent 12 hours on the task before he made the long distance phone call for help. I cleaned one drawings lines up yesterday in Inventor, by another method without crashing. I cleaned up the bushing and boom it killed it, Thanks heavens I saved a copy of the drawing before playing with it. The phrase you're only as good as your teacher/ book/ and school refers to not knowing techniques that weren't presented in the book, etc yet be criticized for the s same very techniques. I guess everyone jumps into inventor and becomes a master day one. The issues with Inventor have to deal with lack of being user-friendly, I am just past my 4th day of Soldiworks and have almost bypassed the placement I am with Inventor which I have already completed and ACED the first 40 hour course of Inventor, with the exception of assemblies in Soldiworks, that is how tough Inventor is to get to do what you want it to do. Half of my Soldiworks class is in my Inventor class, and guess what subject was discussed tonight without me even saying a word, the lack of user-friendly ability in Inventor. One guy has been a Soldiworks drafter for 2 years, he just doesn't have the college credit to clep out, so he's taking it, and looking into testing out of it. The advsior to our program has a field of study of computer programming, with absolutely NO knowledge of CAD or Drafting whatsoever, this is why it's just being handled now. I can solve issues with a drawing not revolving or extruding in solidworks ON MY OWN, which has been the case the first day of class. This is the ease of soldiworks. I had to have the Invntor teacher come over day 1 when I was at a stand still, as time progressed I could iron out more problems on my own, but I and the others are still greatly frustrated with Inventor, and just wish it were as user-freindly as Solidworks. This intense discussion tonight about Inventor was brought up by the guy with 2 years Soldiworks experience, cause he is still upset over last weeks Inventor class which we have tonight (Thursday Night).

Message 65 of 123
mccann25

I looked for the Accept post button several times over the last several days, and can not find it.

Message 66 of 123
mccann25

Why would you take a class in college, if you weren't going to read the book? You also can't ace a class without reading the book.

Message 67 of 123
PhilSaw
in reply to: mccann25

I'm not of the standard as some of my peers on here, but this is my attempt that took 10 minutes.

I could have reduced the number of commands by including the chamfers in a cut sketch and also the slots as one cut, rather than a mirror.

I'm not entirely sure why there are so many redundant sketches dotted about the model tree?

Also, I completely agree with various contributor opinion that nearly all of the sketches are unconstrained - you should see a text line in the bottom right corner of your screen telling you how many dimensions are required to fully constrain your sketch.

I disagree with your statement about the lack of intuitiveness regarding the hole feature function - anybody with a reasonable working knowledge of engineering and CAD should be able to interrogate and understand it within a matter of minutes.

As JD often points out, if there is obvious symmetry, create sketches about the starting work planes - this can help in assembling and in general is good practice.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Intel(R) Core(TM i7-2600 CPU, Quadro 2000 graphics card, 8G RAM
Message 68 of 123
JDMather

@mccann25 wrote:

Dude, you're way off base on this one. Everything was dimensioned....

I have already completed and ACED the first 40 hour course of Inventor

I think you are right, I am clueless.  I don't know how to get perfect geometry without dimensions in Inventor (see slots in Sketch3) I added the dimensions in the attached image and indicated the projected origin.

You obviously "ACED" this class as the evidence indicates.

I'm having trouble, not with reading your explanation - I read it all, but I'm having trouble with reading comprehension.  I'm guess I don't have the best aptitude for this, so I will bow out now.  Good luck with your SolidWorks class and future career.

Exhibit 1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 69 of 123
mrattray

@mccann25 wrote:

I looked for the Accept post button several times over the last several days, and can not find it.

This is not your thread, therefore you cannot accept a solution. This thread was originaly about (lack of) backwards compatibility of Inventor.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 70 of 123
not2013

This software works.   NOT ALL OF THE TIME.  and when it does it is at 2 to 3 times the time you can do it in Solidworks.

How can you get inventor to work when it cannot identify an intersection?

answer:  very slowly

INVENTOR IS THE WORST CAD SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER USED PERIOD!

By the way autodesk did not create AUTOCAD  they bought it!

IF YOU WANT TO SPEND MORE MONEY INVENTOR IS THE 3D SOFTWARE FOR YOU.

IF YOUR SMART BUY SOLIDWORKS AT 1/2 THE PRICE. And save time and sanity as inventor is in-consistant in it's operation.

CAD softwares I used

ComputerVision   1982-1983

Autocad Rel 11 (1989) - 2011

Pro-E Rel 17 (1998) to 5.0

Catia V5R18

Soildworks 2007 & 2010

Solidworks 2010 blows away inventor 2013 in cost and time to learn and create 3D models.  Want to use inventor you better get some classes after you pay twice what Solidworks cost.  MORE TIME MORE MONEY to use Inventor. SOLIDWORKS is easy and fun for some to learn.

ALSO BEWARE OF UPDATES WITH INVENTOR.  One day you come to work and inventor no longer works the way it did the day before.  UnStable is the best definition for Inventor and Mechanical

Hope these facts have helped you.

Message 71 of 123
karthur1

WOOOOOW!  That makes for some really interesting reading.

JD has waaaay more patience than me.

Message 72 of 123
riff62
in reply to: not2013

So, for those of you keeping score, lets review...

Inventor sucks,

AutoCAD sucked a few years ago when last used and may or may not suck now..

the recently retired AutoCAD instructor at some unamed school sucks,

the trigonometry instructor at another unamed school sucks,

the Inventor instructor at one of these 2 schools or possibly a 3rd, REALLY sucks,

the OP part that was posted sucks, but only because he didnt get that far in the book..

Solidworks is King because of its user freindlyness 

There are no Inventor jobs out there, because Inventor sucks.

apparently Sham Tickoo is the Inventor GOD. (We all know JD is)

Did I miss anything?

I spend alot of time working in Inventor, and am one of the people where I work responsible for making sure that models and drawings done by 80 other Inventor users are done correctly. These users include Students, Engineers, Physicists, etc..In what I estimate at 99% of the time, problems associated with models and drawings are user created. Rarely have I ever run across something that Inventor did arbitrarily, without some bad user input..

Message 73 of 123
Paul-Mason
in reply to: riff62

NOT BACKWARDLY COMPATIBLE Was one of the first thing I learned about Inventor native files, yes stp file are but once opened in an older version of Inventor they need a lot of work to bring them back to a native format, work that takes time and patents which looks is something our young friend appears not have , not to mention his some what aggressive approach whe told different.

Our young friend also benifit  from enrolling on an ENGLISH course a well or at least invest in a copy of The Idiots Guide To Computer Terminology "Not Backwardly Compatible" is listed in there along with a very good explanation as to it's meaning.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 74 of 123
tjb1
in reply to: not2013

I found this and attempted the drawing attached earlier myself.  I know it's old but I was able to do this in 4 Extrusions using 4 Sketches and 1 User Defined Work Plane.  If any of the experts could take a look and let me know how I did that would be great.

I graduated from Penn College this Spring from the BAF program so I did not get much exposure to Solidworks/Inventor through classes, I self-taught myself enough in Solidworks to do my senior project and had very little exposure to Inventor.  I tried to take the class with JD but the school dropped it due to lack of students at the time I tried.  I have since taken a job after graduating where they only use Inventor and I had enough experience from my Solidworks use in college to pick up Inventor quite easily but I still have had no training in either so I am curious to see how I did and what may have been done differently.  I do use Inventor everyday so I am fairly good at the basics, now trying to pick up on iLogic, Adaptive Drawings and the Vault.

I know there are some things I miss from Solidworks like the ability to offset the extrusion from the plane it was drawn on and then extrude/cut from the offset distance.

Also, when I was using AutoCAD in college, I hated trying to draw/do anything in Solidworks/Inventor but after getting some experience in them I would never touch AutoCAD again.  The ability to easily manipulate a drawing is much easier and faster than re-drawing everything.

Message 75 of 123
karthur1
in reply to: tjb1

That's the way it should be done.  Only thing I would have done different is in sketch3, I would dimension the holes and slots from the center rather than from the edge... use a linear diameter.  That is the way it would be from a catalog.

Good job and welcome to the forum !!

Message 76 of 123
LT.Rusty
in reply to: karthur1

Thread tagged for further entertainment ...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 77 of 123
mpatchus
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Entire thread brings back memories of teaching my adult level Inventor classes.

It's not what I'm used to using, so it sucks.

I have to learn something new, so it sucks.

I refuse to listen (actually listen) to the instructor and thus cannot creat a basic model properly, so the instructor and the software suck.

Those attitudes by "adults" always made teaching my high school students so much more of a pleasant experience.

It may have been more difficult to explain a process to them, but they usually got it faster than the adults.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 78 of 123
cmberry20
in reply to: connorzwick

Wow, what an amazing thread. How some of you remained calm & didnt just loose it is astonishing.

It looks like the troll {poster} doesnt really know how to use Inventor properly. Its a good job he isnt using Siemens NX as he would have blown his brains out by now!!

Message 79 of 123
mccann25
in reply to: mpatchus

I hate Inventor because of it's frustration level, I learned Inventor first
and SolidWorks afterwards. I have bene working at a job that uses Inventor
6 months now, and it's less frustrating than day 1, but is so very
frustrating will the need to determine the angle of the bolt head as well as the
head clearance dimension when SolidWorks only requires simply saying a 4 mm
CSK hole. While editing an already extruded part and I need to constantly
unselect extruded sketches before editing is a real waste of time. When you
have a lot of different extrusions to be unselected this is very
bothersome. I really miss SolidWorks.
Message 80 of 123
CCarreiras

Hi!

This is one of these cases... that the problem is between the chair and the keyboard...Smiley Sad

But i learned something... Solidworks is the better thing in the world and all the people who bought Inventor are a bunch of stupids (include myself)... and Autodesk (one of the big CAD companies in the World) are also a bunch of stupids.

Hey... m25... only you can belive in these things ... Study more, work hard, and learn with better people... and maybe you will stop saying bull about everything and everyone...

Regards.
CCarreiras

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report