Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Versions file options?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
TomAllen
904 Views, 7 Replies

Older Versions file options?

Inventor 2013 SP1 (Update 1)

Vault Basic 2013 SP1

While modifying an assembly, I crashed my machine and had that moment where you try an remember when you saved last.

It was a mixed bag when I opened the file from my C: drive, so I figured I would utilize the Older Versions Folder to try an recoupe some of my work.

The last Older Version file for the .iam was from when I had initailly checked it out of the vault.

I saved that file many times between the time I checked it out and the time it crashed.

So I checked the Project File, the "Older Versions to keep on Save" is set to 1 so ??

Okay? So I opened and .iam and deleted a part and saved, no new "Older Version".

Checked the .iam into Vault and then it created an updated "Older Version" file.

So I opened and .idw, smudged it and saved, it created a updated Older Version file immediately.

My Questions-

1.) Is this the designed functionality or is something wrong?

if this is by design-

2.) Other than checking my file in and out all day, is there anther way to ensure that the .iam creates "Older Version" files on Save as well?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
swhite
in reply to: TomAllen

Go to the Vault tab > Options > check the Check In dialog box, then settings and check the Keep files checked out check-box. This way you can check the files in often without actually having to re-check them out. Once you close the assembly it will check-in all the files permanently.

Check In.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
TomAllen
in reply to: swhite

Hello Steven,

Thank you for such a quick response.

My brain is trained to "Save", and ideally I would prefer it if the .iam (Old Version) updated the same way as the .idw, but you have offered an excellent solution, thank you.

Our machines do not crash without provoking typically, but it seems like it should be a default workflow.

Is this a common configuration?

Do you use these settings?

Tom Allen

Message 4 of 8
swhite

Yes, everyone in our department uses those settings. Most times I don't bother checking them in after every save, but I do after every few hours or after performing something complicated i would prefer not to have to repeat :).

Also you should know that if you crash while you have a file checked out, your best option is to open it from your hard drive (not the older version file -  but the normal assembly or part) and say no to get current version from vault. this will give you the last saved version on your hard drive, which you can then check in to update the vault. Use ctrl+O or the file menu open, but not the vault open option if you crash. When you do this you should get a message saying the version on your hard drive is newer than the vault, overwright from vault or some such. Say No to all and the last saved files will open.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 8
TomAllen

Thank you for affirming this procedure.

I am going to offer this to our workgroup as a recommended workflow.

I did start yesterday opening from my C: drive, but it had all the same properties of the Older Version File.

Perhaps it was a particularly heinous crash and Inventor restored it with that file, idk.

Regardless, Im going to consider it dumb luck, as I was fortunate enough to find a better workflow.

You've earned a Kudos from me for taking the extra time to elaborate on the best way to recover as well.

Much appreciation.

Tom Allen

Message 6 of 8
swhite

This is totally optional, but we also delete working copies on close. All this does is delete all the checked out files from your hard drive when you close the file (which does a final check-in). Then when you check the file out it downloads the current vault version. We did this because now and then someone would accidently overwrite the vault with an older version on thier hard drive by clicking no to all on opening without reading what was being asked. (Vault version newer than hard drive version). This is optional and may or may not integrate into your workflow. And thanks for the kudo 🙂

Check In 2.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 7 of 8
swhite

Just wanted to add that using the keep files checked out option is probably the best workflow. While creating assemblies you often add parts, which never get checked in until you finish the assembly. With this workflow you can check in anytime and the new parts are added to the vault, yet still remain checked out for editing. You can even just check in and it will prompt you to save first so everything gets saved and updated. It's about the safest way to go.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 8
TomAllen

Im getting comfortable with these settings and finding them advantageous.

Thanks again Steven!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report