Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset and Dimensioning a line or object scales everything

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ken.siegner
946 Views, 5 Replies

Offset and Dimensioning a line or object scales everything

I came from AutoCad 2007 and self-taught on Inventor 2013, I am so flustrated with trying to offset loops and lines efficiently because when I dimension them it messes up my whole drawing, scaling everything out of position.

I did the right-click after selecting offset, in sketch mode, and tried different combinations of Loop Select and Constrain Offset, but nothing helps.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: ken.siegner

Attach your *.ipt file here.

Did you have anything dimensioned prior to the offset?

Are you using the Origin Center Point?

More information is needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
ken.siegner
in reply to: JDMather

Please see attached video and the file used in the video (the bmp is actually a mp4, if you're brave enough to open it you can watch a video of me creating this file).

Message 4 of 6
mdavis22569

You need to use the Origin point to keep your sketch from moving around.... Our starting template ...we set it up to have a sketch already started, with the Origin point project so we can doing our sketches based on it ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

I recommend that you read this.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think you are talking about the auto-scaling behavior in 2D Sketch. This behavior happens when you try adding the very first dimension to an under-constrained sketch. The objective is to ensure all the sketch entities within the sketch adjust according to the dimension.

I guess you find the behavior inconvenient because most of the sketch entities are created exact but underconstrained. Then when you add the very first dimension, the auto-scaling behavior changes these exact but underconstrained sketch entities.

Like I said, this behavior only applies to the very first dimension within a sketch. If you think it blocks your workflow, I would suggest you add an dimension to an exact sketch entity as early as possible, since they need to be constrained anyway. I have heard similar feedback about the behavior. Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way to accommodate both competing requests.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report