Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd loft feature glitch on parameter adjustment.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mta08pg
294 Views, 2 Replies

Odd loft feature glitch on parameter adjustment.

I am experiencing an unpredicted, erroneous behaviour in the attached part.

The rotor is composed of cylinder and a solid lofted between two 3D profiles. The attached part file is correct. To reproduce the error- change the "inlet_width" parameter from 12mm to 10mm or less (it is a parameter in "Blade Profile" sketch). On updating the part there will be infinitesimally thin solid layer on outer diameter of the cylinder.

Some features which need explaining:

-3D Sketch profile is a projection not from the "Blade Profile" sketch, but from a plane offset from it. This was first attempt at a fix. I suspected the original tangent work plane to intersect the cylinder.

-Creating a new solid body from loft was the only way to avoid errors such as "non-manifold solid".

I will be creating multiple versions of this part and I need to be able to safely adjust the "inlet_width" and "outlet_width" parameters. I will be grateful of any proposed fixes/workarounds to that glitched behaviour.

EDIT: The version is Inventor 2014 Educational.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mta08pg
in reply to: mta08pg

I have created a workaround:

One of the 3D sketches is now projected not on face of the cylinder, but a cylindrical work surface offset from it.

Still, I hope to learn if the error I encountered earlier could be predicted and if so- what is the best way to prevent it.

Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: mta08pg

I would create the part differently.

It worries me when I see things like Work Axis1 that is a duplication of the Origin Y axis.  Why would someone do that?

I would probably model the vane such that it was larger and then trimmed back.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking at this, but if possible, I would model the vane as a lofted surface and then Thicken and trim.

Another way you could do this is to do the Loft first then the Extrude - Intersect the outer cylinder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report