Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notch of a curved pipe

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
cinim
1913 Views, 24 Replies

Notch of a curved pipe

Hi,

I'm trying to notch a curved pipe with another pipe and its giving me many problems because I can't select it. What can I do to work it out?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
JDMather
in reply to: cinim

Do what you need to get the grade.
But an interesting experiment would be to compare the results from ANSYS with Inventor Frame Analysis or Algor.
I have been having my students do analysis experiments across several different programs and we have gotten very good replication across programs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 22 of 25
cinim
in reply to: JDMather

That would certainly make a lot of things easier!!

If I may I've got another question. I shrinkwrapped part of the frame and then I generated more tubes from the sketch. However, I can't get them notched to the whole (shrinkwrapped) frame as it wasn't generated in the current assembly. Is there a way to get parts notched to the other frame? I tried to construction way but it didn't work this time round.

Thanks.

Message 23 of 25
cinim
in reply to: cinim

The reason I want this is that I want to mesh nearly the complete frame as one body giving it the material properties of steel, and some other members as aluminium. However as I said, I can't notch these members to the shrinkwrapped frame.

Message 24 of 25

@Dennis_Jeffrey wrote:

You are doing way to much work...

1. In the assembly file, edit the part you want to trim.

2. Select Copy Object from the Model tab

3. In Copy Object with Surface option selected, select the Trimming face of the other part.

4. Select Split, then select the Surface created in step 3.

Use these options (marked in red) to trim the solid tube.

Tekni002085.jpg

@cinim wrote:

thank you gentlemen, your kindness is really appreciated. I managed to do it.

If i may, can i ask for one last favour. Could someone guide me to how I can combine each frame into one complete structure please? That would be very helpful when converting it to ANSYS.

For future reference, if someone needs to here are the steps:

1. Select the part you want to trim, and "copy to construction" found under surfaces

2. there should be a folder named "Construction". Double click on it

3. Double click "Copy objects" and select the pipes you want the part to be trimmed around. Make sure you select surfaces

4. Finish Construction and go the Model Section. Double click on Split, select trim solid and trim as needed

5. To delete extra parts, go to "Delete face" found under Surface, and make sure you select lump

That should be all.

Hi Dennis, I too faced the same problem...and solved by following ur procedure.It was really helpful and easy ... thanks for ur valuable post...

Jyothis Surendran
Autodesk Autocad 2014 & Inventor Professional Suite 2010
Windows 10
Message 25 of 25
JDMather
in reply to: jyothissurendran

@jyothissurendran wrote:

@Dennis_Jeffrey wrote:

You are doing way to much work...

@cinim wrote:

... how I can combine each frame into one complete structure please? That would be very helpful when converting it to ANSYS.

For future reference, if someone needs to here are the steps:

1. Select the part you want to trim, and "copy to construction" found under surfaces

Start new part and Derive Component to combine into one.

1. You are doing too much work - no need to use Construction Enviroment for this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report