Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie: Sheet metal tutorial

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
MoritzR1
326 Views, 1 Reply

Newbie: Sheet metal tutorial

Hi. I am a newbie trying to learn inventor using the tutorials on the website. For the first part you create you make a rectangle, extrude it and convert it to sheet metal. Very easy, only when I am convert it it prompts me to set the thickness (or something like that) and then when I go to create a face it tells me there are no unconsumed sketches on my part....help? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JDMather
in reply to: MoritzR1

Post url to tutorial.
If it is telling you to extrude and then convert to sheet metal - then there is no need to create a Face feature.

Sheet metal comes in certain thicknesses and the entire sheet metal part is the same thickness.

Sheet metal parts have a variable named Thickness that controls the thickness.

When you did Extrude a certain distance, the sheet metal environment has no way of knowing how far you extruded.

In the upper right area of your screen (when in sheet metal environment) there is a button on the Ribbon that says Sheet Metal Defaults.  Click on that button and set Thickness to whatever your Extrude distance is.  Better yet - after setting your Thickness go back and edit the Extrusion and type in the variable name Thickness rather than a number for the extrusion distance.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report