Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Help. How to extend this box I made.

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
huttonji
365 Views, 20 Replies

Newbie Help. How to extend this box I made.

Hello all.

I have this box I made https://grabcad.com/library/no-2#   (also attached)

Here is a screenshot of a measurement I made: Capture.PNG

All I need to do is make the box wider, so that the measurement between those 2 points is 49 instead of 42.

I don't mean stretch everything, but simply extend the the middle parts of the box on the left and right side of the circular funnel thing by 3.5mm

How would I go about doing this? Honestly, if someone could even just do it for me and upload it, I would be very appreciative. If not, I'll try my best to figure it out.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
mdavis22569
in reply to: huttonji

you won't be able to with the current state of the model.. its a base solid ...not one that was done inventor from the loos of it ... You'll need to start over ...OR get an add in for Inventor call inventor feature recognition and see if that will work the model into a changeable solid http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com:FeatureR...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
huttonji
in reply to: mdavis22569

weird, I made it in inventor. I'll probably just start over. It shouldn't take too long.

Message 4 of 21
mdavis22569

When I brought it in it was a base ... what version did you do it in ..I'm in 2012 ..so I might be wrong ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 21
huttonji

2013 I think

Message 6 of 21
cbenner

The file you attached is a step file.  If you want people to be able to work with it, you need to attach the .ipt file and tell us the version it was created in.

Message 7 of 21
mdavis22569

might be my error then ... I won't know for a few hours till I'm home Sorry I'm sure one of the others will be opening it too and can help ... However you might if it was all the different extrusions, cuts/ fillets etc ... Move you end of part to the base outside framing / shell and try adjusting it there and then move your End of Part down one extrusion at a time and fix what's needed as you go thru it

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 21
huttonji
in reply to: cbenner

Unfortunately, my computer was whiped and all I had was the .stp file I had put into dropbox.

I know it was made in Inventor 2013 though.

Message 9 of 21
mdavis22569

try the feature option ..or you'll probably have to redo it ... Do you have Inventor Vault or another PDM?

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 21
huttonji

Here is the file converted to .stl if that helps...

Message 11 of 21
huttonji

I don't know what either of those are, sorry I am very new at inventor. 😕

Message 12 of 21
mcgyvr

IF you made the file in Inventor you have the "ipt" file..

You need to post that.. and that only or your are out of luck

Just like when you create a file in excel you make an xlsx file.

Or word a docx file

and if you have the ipt file you can easily just edit the model and fix it yourself. 

NO way could you create a box like that but not know how to simple edit it in Inventor. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 13 of 21
mdavis22569
in reply to: mcgyvr

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com:FeatureR...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
huttonji

link didnt work. It's fine, I'll just redo the box from scratch when I get home. Thanks for the help guys!

Message 15 of 21
mcgyvr

@huttonji wrote:

link didnt work. It's fine, I'll just redo the box from scratch when I get home. Thanks for the help guys!

WHY would you do that??????

Just edit the one you have.. 

Open the ipt file and edit the feature or features that control that dimension.. 

There is NO need to redo the box from scratch.. Well unless you really didn't have the ipt file in the first place. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 16 of 21
cbenner
in reply to: mcgyvr
Message 17 of 21

Hi huttonji,

If you need to extend a "dumb solid" there are a couple of ways to do it. Attached is a method using the Split tool.

But you can also use the Edit Solid option in Inventor 2014 and previous versions:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-53BF57D8-352B-4689-AE42-8C1BBCE38F92

Or the Direct Edit tool in Inventor 2015:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-E27FC7F0-1224-491C-84C2-EC2AE77171A2

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 18 of 21
mcgyvr

@cbenner wrote:

OP lost the original .ipt  The Step is all he has left to work with.

Open it in 2015 if you can and use the Direct Edit?

Oh yes.. didn't see message #8.

Message 19 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi! I don't think you need to redo it from scratch. I am pretty sure it requires more work to recreate it. However, it is not as straight forward to length just a section. There are a few tricks to play to get it as simple as possible. Please take a look at attached part and see how it was done. Let me know if you have any question.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Another attempt without removing and adding the hole.

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report