Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sketch on XZ Plane - puts me on wrong side

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
2047 Views, 24 Replies

New sketch on XZ Plane - puts me on wrong side

When I pick the XZ plane to create a new sketch, then Look At it, the red
origin indicator is pointing left, meaning I'm on the back side. How did I
get over on the front side. Something with flip axis or something like that?
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
cwhetten
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

I don't have as much of a problem with the way the part's X axis is pointing.  It all depends on which axis you feel is important or not.  In this case, someone decided that it's more important for the Z axis to point up than it is for the X axis to point right.  Makes sense to some people, not to others.  (It happens to bother me, but I realize that it's arbitrary so I can get over it, if I have to, I guess...)

I think the real problem is that we have two independent coordinate systems in a part--the PART coordinate system based on the origin features, and the SKETCH coordinate system based on ???

Why not just use the part coordinate system?  No need to ADD confusion!

Message 22 of 25
JLeeSaxon
in reply to: Anonymous

It is not acceptable that this still hasn't been fixed. For the money we pay, the length of time bugs go unaddressed...and this isn't even the oldest one I've seen.

Keep bumping this thread.
Lee Saxon
Ellis Photographic Design
Message 23 of 25
JLeeSaxon
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure why I'm the only one who's furious that they're paying this much money to watch massive bugs like this go unfixed for ELEVEN YEARS, but I'm going to keep bumping this thread even if I'm the only one doing it.

Lee Saxon
Ellis Photographic Design
Message 24 of 25
dgzilber
in reply to: JLeeSaxon

Not sure what all of the fuss is about. The very first answer in this thread, way back in 2003, is correct; if you select the plane in the model history tree on the left, and right click on it, there is an option to "flip normal". This changes the default side of the plane that the sketch is on.

Message 25 of 25
SBix26
in reply to: dgzilber

The fuss is about the origin planes (specifically the XZ plane), which cannot be flipped-- see the fourth post in the thread.  

But I have never, in thirteen years of using Inventor, experienced this issue, so I'm also uncertain what conditions cause the problem.  If I create a block starting from the XY plane, then start a new sketch on the XZ plane, it's on the +Y side.  Look At the new sketch gives me a Top view, not a Bottom view (this is using default Inch template with up = Y-axis).

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report