Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to shell or thicken

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bcrowell
864 Views, 5 Replies

Need to shell or thicken

I have made a single part (5 shell left without cut KGM C Fusion) out of two, and need to make the solid hollow, with a 3mm thickness.  The part seems to not shell with more than a .3mm thickness.

Alternatively, I need to make the other part (KGM Die) 3mm smaller on all of the surfaces not on the rectangular base.

This is being made form imported geometry that does not seem to be playing well with Inventor, and the construction environment was not any use since the part came in "without errors".

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
admaiora
in reply to: bcrowell

Dear Friend,

too faces, too few fillets...it's all depends from the bad model imported...

It's quicker in this case recreate a native Inventor model, on which you can have a better control and for sure more flexible for the comand shell.

I hope that it can, a little, helps you.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 6
WHolzwarth
in reply to: admaiora

Here's my approach. It's been tricky.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
bcrowell
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Where did you get the surfaces for the sculpt operations?  

I am trying to step through what you did and I don't see how you got the offset surface for the first sculpt.  I think I understand the rest of the workflow, as far as sculpting the inside, then the outside, combine the two (with a subtraction) and then thickening to bring the surface back up the .1mm.

Thank you again.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 5 of 6
WHolzwarth
in reply to: bcrowell

Well, once more Inventor 2013 (and 2015) wasn't intelligent enough for doing the offset.

I've been using Rhino for this task instead, but Rhino had some problems, too.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
bcrowell
in reply to: WHolzwarth

The orginal geometry really was pretty bad, and I'm not sure if it was the import or simply that the original customer file was horrible- I get the sense it was some of both.  I don't know how to faithfully reproduce it into a class a surface, but somehow need to come up with one, so even the file I have posted won't work as a final product : (  

I am hoping to learn enough to at least be able to transfer to a better file when I have the same issues again, but if you're using Rhino, that doesn't bode well for me here.  Not good news that 2015 won't do it either- if it would we have the license, just not installed yet.

I do appreciate the help, even if the outlook isn't very good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report