Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help Arc Dimensioning in drawing.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2015 Views, 8 Replies

Need help Arc Dimensioning in drawing.

Hello,  I need help adding an arc length dimension to a drawing.  I am trying to provide an arc length between several areas on a tank and am unable to do so.  I have tryed the RMB, but I cannot seem to be able to select the arc between where I want to dimension.

I am using inventor 2010.  I have attached a picture, where it is circled is where I want to provide an arc length dimension.  Is their a way to break lines in the drawing to select only where I want to dimension?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous

I suspect you're trying to add an arc length between the centerlines. This is not possible. You can only put an arc length dimension onto an actual arc (a line which would default to a radius dimension when selected). One work around may be to sketch an arc in the view connected to the projected centerlines, which could then be dimensioned outside of the sketch with an arc length dimension.

Or, did I misunderstand what you're trying to do?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks for the reply.  I have attached a picture of what I am trying to achieve.

I havent given your solution a try yet.  I will try it this afternoon and see if I have any success.

Wasn't sure if their was a way to break the solid line which is the circumference, inorder to select the arcs I want.

I haven't touched inventor in a couple years and none of the people who used to do these drawings are around any longer.

Thanks again

Steve

Message 4 of 9
mrattray

Any splitting of the arcs would have to be done in the model using split face, and probably isn't the best approach, especially if your not familiar with the tools involved.

Give the sketch method a try and post back with the results.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 9
mpatchus

To dimension this you need to be able to select an arc, not the centerlines.

RMB should give you the option to dimension the arc or chord length.

arc_length.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 6 of 9
jletcher

What you can do is a sketch at the assembly project the points make arc and in idw include the sketch and dimension the sketch like below.

When I made stacks and cage ladders thats how I did it. Worked great.

Use sketch.JPG

Message 7 of 9
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

That would be more reusable than my method.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 9
jletcher
in reply to: jletcher

Also doing it this way if you move the section the sketch does not change or move . But if you change the Diameter the sketch in the model will update better than an idw sketch.

Use sketch 2.JPG

Use sketch 3.JPG

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you all very much for your help.  Both ways worked for what I needed to do, I ended up using jletcher's solution.

Thanks again.

Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report