Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with 3D Sweep

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
2613 Views, 5 Replies

Need Help with 3D Sweep

Trying to create a 3D sweep.  I want to keep the sweep parallel to the XZ plane (like a parting surface).  In the attached part, there is a SweepSrf3 that has sort of what I am trying to do, but it does not go all the way around the path.  Notice how the sweep is parallel to the plane.  I tried to do the same thing in SweepSrf4, by selecting the 3D Sketch1 as the path, Sketch2 as the profile, and Workplane2 as the Guide Surface.  That failed.

2013-08-01_1646.png

In SweepSrf4, the only way that I could get the sweep to come close to working was to use the 3D Sketch1 as the guide rail and the circle as the Path.  Seems like I need to use the circle as the guide rail and the 3D Sketch1 as the path to get what I want... but that fails.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kirk

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: karthur1

To get a tangent continuous 3D path I would

Sketch the right side view as 2D sketch

Sketch the top view as 2D sketch.

Find the intersecting curve in 3D sketch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
karthur1

I need the surface for all four sides
Message 4 of 6
glenn-chun

Hi Kirk,

In order to use the sweep with a guide surface or guide rail, the path must be tangent continuous (G1).  Your path contains 28 edges and 28 vertices.  All of those edges are merely connected (G0), but not tangent continuous.

You could add a tangent constraint between each pair of adjacent edges, but sometimes it would be easier to redraw the path.  I redrew the path by including a few points into a new 3D sketch and creating an interpolation spline curve through those points:

pln_nrml_swp_along_g1_path.png

The isoparametric lines look like the following:

isoparametric_lines.png

Glenn

ASM Development

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: glenn-chun

Glen,

Thanks, thats what I was trying to accomplish. Must say though that your curve fits the target path much better than I could get mine to fit it.  Even after adding more points, moving points and tweaking with the handles. 

Also, is there a way that I can see my isoparametric lines?

Thanks again,

Kirk

Message 6 of 6
glenn-chun

@karthur1 wrote:

is there a way that I can see my isoparametric lines?

Not in Inventor.  You might want to add a new entry to the Inventor IdeaStation.

If you attach your part, I will post some screenshots of isoparametric lines displayed in ASM development environment.

Glenn

ASM Development

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report