Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple styles for defaulting to a template

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
drowlee
623 Views, 7 Replies

Multiple styles for defaulting to a template

I am trying to figure out first how to create a new style without messing up the current standards we have and second, be able to default the new one to a specific template or project. I'm pretty sure I can do the first part on my own but I'm having no luck with the second part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: drowlee

As far as the default template, that can be setup in the application options under the  general tab.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8
drowlee
in reply to: Cadmanto

Oh, I think you misunderstood my question. I know how to make a template default but I want to know how or if you can set a specific style to be the default style for only one template. More or less have a different style associated with different templates so that I can just open a template for a specific company we are working for and have that template automatically have the style associated with it, if that makes more sense.

Or maybe I misunderstood your answer?

Message 4 of 8
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi drowlee,

Unfortunately there is not a way to have a template default to a different Style (such as a Dimension Style) other than to have two Standards and set your templates to use a different Standard. But in your case, since you're working with two companies, creating two Standards is likely the correct choice.

For instance you have two companies you're working with:

1) Acme Inc

2) Generic, LLC.

and you have two templates:

1) Acme.idw

2) Generic.idw

and you have two templates:

1) Acme Dim Style (metric, 3 places)

2) Generic Dim Style (feet and inches)

You would create your two Standards, one for each company, and then set up the Object Defaults in each of those to specify the Dimension Styles for each standard. Then you would edit the templates and go to the Tools tab > Document Settings tab > Standard tab, and specify which Standard each template should use.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 8
Cadmanto

I getcha!!!

What Curtis outlined is the only way I know to do it.  I have done what he has outlined.

Sounds like you might have the makings for an idea in the Inventor IdeaStation

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 8
drowlee
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Alright thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback and will do my best to figure that out.

Thanks again to both of you.

Message 7 of 8

Or you can set  ilogic to do it with an option to pick Client and it would change to that  style without having 2 templates.

I have one client setup this way..

He can pick client and sheet size and the standard style will change and the title block would also change.

This was good because if the drafter picks the wrong template and did hours of work he would have to do a lot to fix it by putting in one template if a mistake was made he just had to run the rule and everything would update to the new option.

Just another way..

My code is posted somewhere on here if you want to use it...

Message 8 of 8
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi drowlee

Here is the link to the IdeaStation idea in case others wish to vote for it:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Set-default-Styles-based-upon-chosen-Template/idi...

Note that I added a comment, but basically I think this could be easily implemented by allowing the templates to specify an Object Default style:

Autodesk Inventor Template Default Style.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report