Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple profile option for sweep

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
k-dawg
3136 Views, 4 Replies

Multiple profile option for sweep

My purpose for Inventor (2012) is for cabinetry, more specifically the majority is for kitchen cabinetry.

All of our kitchens have crown, but not the same crown profile every time. There will be dozens of profiles if not reaching 100 or more.

What I am trying to accomplish is a way to model a sweep (which I can do no problem) but I would like to have the option of changing the sweep profile on the fly. I would be sitting with a customer and they would say "yes or no" to what they like.

I have looked at derived parts and iFeature and unless I am missing it, it's not giving me what I would like. Is this where iLogic comes in? I don't have any idea yet how to use that, which I know I will have to eventually. 

Right now I have an .ipt file with 7 crown profiles. Not sure I want to go any further for fear of re-work.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: k-dawg

Can't you simple turn off the sketch visibility of the profiles not used for the sweep
Or put all of the profiles in one sketch as sketch blocks and then turn on only the visibility of the profile sketch block to be used?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
k-dawg
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry, I meant to also say that I'm pretty green at this.

I hid the visibility of all, minus one. I used the sweep command, which gave me what I was looking for.

Where I am stuck is editing the sketch profile. I can deselect the original sketch with the ctrl button, but am unable to select a different profile. The best I have found is to just delete the first sweep and start all over. 

What I am hoping for is to apply the moulding to the cabinet and with just a dropdown menu or radio buttons, I can change the crown profile on the fly. I have seen it done from Mark Randa and the iCabinet, but I am assuming I will be needing to go the iLogic route.

Message 4 of 5
yannick3

Hi

you use feature property

1-create user parameter with multi value(parameter must be unit less and last 4 digit of profile number)

2-create sweep (new solid) with all profile

3-use feature property; suppress if the user parameter is not equal to....(see pict)

4- choose the right parameter for different profile

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 5 of 5
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi k-dawg,

You might also consider using the Frame Generator to add your custom molding profiles to your cabinet assemblies. This would allow you to miter and trim the pieces to length as well. I think you mentioned elsewhere that you have the Mastering book; you can find Frame Generator covered in Chapter 15.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report