Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Units in a BOM Column

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rheth
1372 Views, 5 Replies

Multiple Units in a BOM Column

I have a BOM that shows up as in units for length items and unitless for qty items.  When I change the  UOM to use FT units the non-length units get inch ticks.  The qty 1 which means I need one shows up as 1" where I do not require a 1 inch part but one each.  How do I remove the inch ticks?  Thanks for any help.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: rheth

Welcome Rheth.

Can you post a shot of your BOM columns?  There are several quantity columns you can use.  I am going to assume that this is for either piping or steel since you talked about length?  Try using Item Qty, since this will give you a piece count, not a total length.  See attached:

qty.JPG

Message 3 of 6
rheth
in reply to: cbenner

OK I have attached the image.  See if this works...

Message 4 of 6
rheth

How can I get all of the items to come in as feet to begin with so I don't have to overide the settings?

Message 5 of 6
LT.Rusty

You can mess around with your parts list settings, but for me that has never been really convenient for a variety of reasons.  My template simply doesn't have space to put base quantity and item quantity both, and I don't need the base quantity on about 90% of the drawings.

If you want to just fix the immediate symptom - show item quantity, rather than the total length - the easy fix is to go into each one of your parts that are being shown as base quantity, and on the TOOLS tab, click on DOCUMENT SETTINGS. Go to the BILL OF MATERIALS tab in there, and on the pulldown menu for BASE QUANTITY, change this to EACH, instead of G_L.  This will show your pipe or structural member or whatever as 2 pieces of whatever is shown in the description, rather than 48" (or whatever length).

As I said, though, this just solves the immediate symptom.  You'll have to do this every time you use pipe or steel, and for every single .IPT.  You can't do this is you've inserted from content center as a standard part, rather than custom.  You'll also likely need to edit the parts list in the drawing to get the descriptions to show in a rational way that makes sense.

There is a long-term fix, but it's pretty involved.  Good news is, once you spend a couple-three hours setting up your content center libraries, you'll never have to mess with it again, and you'll be able to customize a lot of settings in the process to make it easier for you to use these parts and put them in drawings.  I wrote it up in this thread here.  The main focus of that thread was getting the content center parts to show up with fractions in the description, rather than decimal units, but the basic principles there will help you to get your content center stuff to show up the way you want it to look.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
cbenner

First thing I noticed is that you are editing the parts list.  Edits should be done to the BOM in the assembly.  Editing the parts list like this is simply overriding the values form the part and assembly models.

So far I'm not seeing how to get all of the parts that have a length value, show up as feet instead of inches.  I've tried setting the units in Document Settings, but the BOM still shows inches.

Anyone else ever play with these settings?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums