Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Alike Assemblies such as bolted connections

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
benjoefoe
405 Views, 5 Replies

Multiple Alike Assemblies such as bolted connections

I use many different sizes and variations of bolted connections every day and I have been searching for a way to impliment an assembly of nuts and bolts into content center so that it's easy to get to, so that it is pre-assembled and so that I can name or number my different variations. Problems I've run into are, you can not publish a true assembly to content center and if I were to derive my base assembly and make it a muli-bodied part, then the individual solids do not show up in the parts list as seperate parts.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Am I missing something? Can you make a good part's list from a part that was derived from an assembly?

Thanks, Ben

AutoDesk Inventor 2020 Certified
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi benjoefoe,

Are you familar with the Template Library for bolted connections? You can access it by clicing the >> button in the Bolted Connection dialog box.

Basically this allows you take any of your existing bolted connections and use the Add button create a template from it.Once it's added you can double click the name in the list to change the name to your liking.

Then, the next time you want to create a bolted connection, you can make the placement selections and then use the Set button to use the template, then you can tweak the components, lengths, etc. as needed.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Bolted Connection Library Template.png

Message 3 of 6

If I'm understanding you correctly you want to make a part that represents, for example, a bolt and spring washer and nut. This question has come up many times in these forums and some people do it. Personally I use the Bolted Connection DA, coupled with the Template mentioned by Curtis. I have around 15 of these Templates that I choose from and the application of them to the assy file is simple.

You could make an iPart representing the combination you use but I suspect you will end up with lots of these combinations for the fastener type and washers and such.

The other problem is how they appear in the BOM (and drawing Parts List). I assume you will see a 1 line entry like "BOLT ASSY M12*65 WITH SPRING WASHER & NUT" or something like that. This makes life for the person ordering these items a bit more difficult as they need to decipher the individual items. Again, personally I have a BOM line for each member of the Bolted Connection and the BOM does a great job of adding all these up so I get 1 line for the size/spec of the bolt, another line for the nut and another for the washer.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 4 of 6

OK so it seems, that this bolted connection template may be the way to go. I was totally unaware of the "template" part of it!!

I'll admit I was not a fan of using the bolted connection app before because I still had to go and pick out each part just like placing from content center. Using a template though is a different story! 

So now that I want to start trying to use the bolted connection command I find that all my parts do not show up. For some strange reason I can only see my stainless fasteners from bolted connection. I attatched this jpeg of what I am seeing.

Thanks, Ben

Message 5 of 6

Hi benjoefoe,

Is it possible it's filtering out bolts that are too large for the hole you selected, and it's just a coincidence that the SS is all that's left? :

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Bolted-Connection-missing-hvy-hex-bolts/m-p/3939812#M...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 6

I tried it in a different assembly with different size bolts and bolts smaller than the hole. SS is still the only one available.

I've also tried washers and nuts. No washers show up and only one style of nuts show and it's not even the stainless nuts.

Thanks, Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report