Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a solid part

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
methoni
379 Views, 3 Replies

Moving a solid part

Is there a way to move a solid part in an assy using grip snaps and a specific vector direction .

Please look at the attachment,here you will see a gusset positioned on top of a foot plate,the gusset needs to be

moved so that it makes contact with the cylinder,it will then be welded. The problem is more difficult because the gusset

is offset to the axis of the cylinder and the precise distance is unknown unless worked out using trigonometry.

The question is what is the best method of moving the gusset to the precise distance and direction ?

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: methoni

Why not constrain the edge of the gusset to the cylinder wall?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 4
methoni
in reply to: mrattray

Ok Mike
I will try that .I did not think that it was possible
Regards
Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: methoni

@methoni wrote:

....the precise distance is unknown unless worked out using trigonometry.

I show my students that there is always a geometric solution without using trig calculations.
Trig is approximation (how many decimal places you (or your calculator) choose to take out the trig function).  Trig is derived from the geometry, not the other way around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report