Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Inventor Files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ibaustin
2382 Views, 6 Replies

Moving Inventor Files

Long story short when I started where I work currently I was taking over for someone who was leaving in a hurry and got throw into scenario where all the Inventor work as stored on one laptop. I finally got upper management to get me a real desktop that is built to handle my work load and the requirements needed for Inventor to run properly and up to speed so I'm not waiting on the laptop constantly.

The question I have is how do I move everything over form the laptop to the desktop and should I have it setup to where all the files are stored to the desktop itself or should it be set up on our corporate server?

Kind of two questions I guess is how to correctly set up Inventor from scratch when there's multiple users and multiple shared licenses so other people can also have access to the work I'm doing instead of constantly having to make pack and go packages and then we have multiple different dated versions of stuff out there. Is this where the vault comes into play?

And also how do I move everything off of the laptop to where I'm not dependant on it anymore and don't have to use it anymore but don't have any problems with all the references is parts and assemblies that original path files goes to a C: drive on the laptop. This includes multiple project folders and so forth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.laidler
in reply to: ibaustin

Strongly consider using Vault, and store your files there.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 3 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: john.laidler

you definetly need vault or some other data management application in place

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
ibaustin

Is there a tutorial on Vault that I can use or anything? I have no clue how to use it in any way/shape/form.

Message 5 of 7
SBix26

You may or may not need Vault.  It depends on the kind of work you do.  Where I work, we create one-of-a-kind machines, and therefore each project is completely self-contained.  Each project has its own .ipj file at the top of its project folder.  We don't use Vault because for this kind of work the costs (administrative) seem to outweigh the benefits.

To get your files off the laptop, simply copy the whole file structure to the new location (preferably a network server with a good backup scheme!).  If your .ipj file(s) is(are) configured properly, there should be no issues at all.  If you are using libraries and content center, those will need to be copied as well, and your .ipj files updated for the new locations.

Message 6 of 7
ibaustin

I guess the easiest way to generalize what I do is 3d site design. We use a lot of the same parts and assemblies in multiple site projects for our builds all over the world. So something we use as a standard part we use on all sites, I would say 75% of all of our packages are the same(as far as the construction build package) however the layout is obviously always changing since all of our sites are built to suit.

Message 7 of 7
SBix26

Then I'd suggest you look into Vault.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report