Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Face Question

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
stevec781
213 Views, 2 Replies

Move Face Question

When using move face, if I use the direction and distance option and then later  edit the feature, the original distance used is shown in the box and is ready for editing.

But, when I use the manipulator option and type in a distance, when I later edit feature the original distance entered is reset to zero, so there is no record of what the original distance was. 

Is this how its meant to work?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
bobvdd
in reply to: stevec781

Sounds like as designed to me.

The direction and distance option, only does one thing  and produces a single number  as result.
So it is easy to bring back that number during edit.

The "manipulator" option that you refer to is what I would call the "Free move" option.

This option is more complex and gives you the power to do a succession of multiple translations and rotations.

How do you expect us to remember all these values also considering that they can be entered in multiple mini-toolbar dialogs?

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 3 of 3
stevec781
in reply to: bobvdd

@bobvdd wrote:

How do you expect us to remember all these values also considering that they can be entered in multiple mini-toolbar dialogs?

Bob

The mini tool bar dialogs update as you drag so there is code keeping track of the movement direction.  So you could declare six variables representing the total move in each direction and in the code for each drag event you could sum them up

Total move x = total move x + increment x

Total move y = total move y + increment y

etc

and then recall the six totals next time the feature is edited.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report