Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse-over Cursor Highlight Feature

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dynamicdoyle
7589 Views, 12 Replies

Mouse-over Cursor Highlight Feature

I've got Inventor 2013. I need technical support to tell me how to turn off the mouse function when the mouse cursor moves over a feature, such as an edge, point, or surface, and highlights it. I don't want it highlighting the features automatically. I want it to highlight once I click over a feature. My colleagues and I are very distraught by this feature, and will be discontinuing our use of your products that do not allow us to turn this feature off. I'm not sure why you'd want to weed your customer base like this, assuming that I can't turn this option off from the research I've done pouring through the hundreds of complaints related to this issue. I haven't been able to find any posts recently, or regarding Inventor 2013 specificially on this issue, so I was hoping this version had the option of turning it off. Does any of Autodesk's software, such as AutoCAD, have the option of turning it off?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi dynamicdoyle,

You can change this by going to:

Tools tab > Application Options > Colors tab > Enable Enhanced Highlighting

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 13

That didn't fix the problem. Both prehighlight and advanced prehighlight have been enabled and disabled without changing the mouse-over feature. This is what I don't want to happen when I mouse-over the edge, or any feature. Highlight.pngI only want this to happen when I click on the feature.

Message 4 of 13

Hi dynamicdoyle,

Thanks for the screen shot. I'm not sure I understand the issue though.

Can you explain the problem that this highlighting is causing for you and your colleagues?

Also can you confirm that the problem is just with the red highlight and not the the Select Other tool? If it is the Select Other tool, then would setting a longer delay to keep it from popping up help?

Are you comparing the unwanted highlighting to an older version of Inventor, maybe? If so which version? Maybe we can better understand the change that 2013 has introduced that you find unwelcome if we can compare it to some older version that worked the way you expected.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 13

I don't want the red highlighting or any color highlighting when I move the mouse over different features. I'm not sure when Autodesk added this automatic feature, because this is the first time using Autodesk products. Over a decade ago, ProEngineer didn't highlight anything until you clicked over a feature. This automatic highlighting is completely unecessary and is atrociously distracting - especially in complex parts and assemblies. You can google the mouse over highlighting in Inventor and other autodesk programs and see the amount of people that want to turn off this automatic highlighting. I guess you're so used to this horrid feature that you don't understand what I'm talking about:

When I move my mouse around - I don't want any highlighting of anything!

I only want something highlighted when I click on it!

Message 6 of 13
blair
in reply to: dynamicdoyle

The described settings Highlight and Pre-Highlight only work in the IAM module. At the part level, it's been like this as long as I can remember.

So if you are looking at a IAM, you can turn off the Highlight, but once you get to the IPT part level you are stuck with the red high-lighting of only the part you are editing and not all the parts in the assembly.

I'm sure I speak for the other people on this user forum that we feel truly sorry for you that this horrid feature in Autodesk Inventor has upset you and from the inflections in your post, has traumatized you and possible ruined your week and possibly weekend  and enjoyment of using Autodesk Inventor.

You could post your enhancement request on the Inventor IdeaStation forum.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 13

THANK YOU FOR THE ANSWER HERE!  This feature drives me crazy!  When I am presenting and trying to point to various parts and assemblies, both me and the other viewers are getting nauseous with the techno color of the screen!  

Even though this thread was in 2013,  it still worked the same way in my 2021 version. 

Thank YOU!!!

Message 8 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi Kandy,

Let me clarify a bit. I think what you are looking for is a way to avoid prehighlighting, objects highlight themselves when mouse hovering over. The option to disable it is in Tools -> App Options -> Colors -> uncheck "Enable Prehighlighting."

To keep the wireframe highlight, you will need to uncheck "Enable enhanced highlighting" option in the same tab.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13
ANewington
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I have the same problem, and I have checked and unchecked both those features and it doesn't solve the problem. I take a section through a complex model so I can see what is happening inside, but as the mouse hovers over the model it keeps highlighting objects in the foreground so I can't see what is going on. Would be great to be have the option to just switch this off completely, especially when you are presenting. 

Thank you

Message 10 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: ANewington

@ANewington wrote:

I have the same problem, and I have checked and unchecked both those features and it doesn't solve the problem. I take a section through a complex model so I can see what is happening inside, but as the mouse hovers over the model it keeps highlighting objects in the foreground so I can't see what is going on. Would be great to be have the option to just switch this off completely, especially when you are presenting. 

Thank you

@ANewington  If all you really want is to be able to mouse over an assembly/parts of an assembly and not have stuff highlight just uncheck "Enable Prehighlight" as discussed above and then on tools..application options..general tab set "Select Other Delay" to 20 seconds (the max it can be set.. you can type in larger but it will switch back to 20)

That will at least give you the ability to mouse over a part for up to 20 seconds before it gets selected/highlighted. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 13
ANewington
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr 

Thanks, as mentioned above, I had tried unchecking “Enable Prehighlight” & "Enable Enhanced Highlighting" and various combinations of that, this does not stop the highlighting of components in assemblies.

What I have just tried is to check the “Enable Optimized Selection” option on the general tab with the above two items unchecked, and it now seems to not select components when the mouse hovers over them. Not sure why this works, but will take it!

Message 12 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: ANewington

@ANewington I think you missed the part where I had you change the select other delay..

When you have prehighlighting unchecked the only other function that causes parts to be highlighted in an assembly when mousing over them is the select other function.. As stated setting that to 20 seconds will then allow you to do your presentation and mouse over something (for up to 20 seconds) and not have any highlighting at all that would otherwise distract from your presentation.

The "Enable optimized selection" is about how Inventor selects parts infront of each other based on distance to the view camera. It won't stop highlighting from happening. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 13 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Brian is right. "Prehighlighting" option controls the highlighting when the mouse hovers over candidate objects (based on Select Priority). The actual highlighting when an object is selected cannot be disabled. If you have multiple levels of components to select through, you may want to turn those neighboring components to disabled (uncheck Enabled). Then they will not be selectable.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report