Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse Scroll Wheel - zooming increments

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
sw_convert
14781 Views, 20 Replies

Mouse Scroll Wheel - zooming increments

This is probably trivial to most users, but......

When zooming in and out using the mouse wheel, the increments used in zooming are rather course.

I've tried changing the windows mouse options to no effect within Inventor.  I've also looked around the application settings and could not readily find any options which adjusts zooming increment.

Is there even such an option, or am I out of luck on this one?

Thanks in advance for any help offered on this.  🙂

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jletcher
in reply to: sw_convert

What mouse are you using and do you have the drivers for it or using a generic windows driver?

Update the driver and give it a shot..

Never use generic windows driver... They really don't work..

Message 3 of 21
Cadmanto

Did this just start happening or has this been an issue to you for a while?

What version of Inventor are you running?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 21
sw_convert
in reply to: jletcher

I do not have that option available to me currently.  I'll ask my admin (tomorrow) if he'll load the proper drivers and see where we go from there. But yes, I am using the generic windows drivers.  The admin has driver updates and other things locked out.... for whatever reason.  (New Job, so still feeling things out here)

In any case...... so are you saying, there is no option within Inventor to adjust zooming increments?  It's strictly OS mouse driver settings?

Message 5 of 21
sw_convert

Scott..... it's always been like this.  I've only just started this job around a month ago.  We're using Inventor 2013.  I last used Inventor from 2007-2009, then switched to Catia... now back to Inventor.

Ahhh the life of a contractor! 🙂

Message 6 of 21
cwhetten

I don't know a way to change the scroll wheel zoom increment.

BUT, if you need finer control of the zoom, you can hold down F3, then click & drag (left mouse button) up and down.  This allows for much smoother zooming.

Message 7 of 21
sw_convert
in reply to: cwhetten

cwhetten.... Thank you!  Acceptable solution! 🙂

Message 8 of 21
Cadmanto

I understand.  In conjunction with what has already been suggested you can always use the navigation wheel as well.

I find it to work pretty good.  I toggle it on/off with ctrl-W.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 21
Retselnitram

Or get a Space Pilot.

Something that everyone should have.

Message 10 of 21
_DanSolo_
in reply to: Retselnitram

you should not have to use a Space Pilot, that should be a bonus.

this is a non-issue in other major 3D CAD software.

Message 11 of 21
xAragornx

There is a registry setting that can change the increment. It is found at: HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersionXX.0\System\Preferences\Display. You change the Zoom Wheel Speed key. The default is 1. The smaller the number the smaller the zoom increment and vise versa. I changed it to .5 and that seems to be good for me. Make sure you close inventor first before changing the key as inventor will save it's setting into the registry before closing and will overwrite any changes made. Once you mod the key, start inventor and it will have the new zoomspeed setting. Enjoy!

Message 12 of 21
yoganathan92

You want to change the speed at which your mouse wheel zooms in Inventor

To change the zoom speed of the mouse wheel

1. Exit Inventor.
  2. Click Start menu (Windows).
  3. In the Run dialog box, enter regedit
  4. In the Registry Editor, browse to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion12.0\System\Preferences\Display

5. Right-click the Wheel Zoom Speed key. Click Modify.
  6. Enter a new value in decimal format, using a period (.) as the decimal separator. The following are some example values:
    • 0.1 for very slow scroll zooming speed
    • 1 for normal zooming speed
    • 3 or greater for faster zooming speed
  7. Close the Registry Editor.
  8. Restart Inventor.
Message 13 of 21
akap47
in reply to: yoganathan92

Mouse Scroll Wheel - zooming increments IV2020 WHEEL ZOOM MISSING IN REGEDIT?

Thanks.

MOUSE.JPG

Message 14 of 21
DannyHubbard
in reply to: akap47

Most of these settings are now stored in a UserApplicationOptions.xml file which can be found at "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor 2020" instead of in the Windows Registry.

You should be able to edit this file (with Inventor closed) add a line like WheelZoomSpeed below.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 21
_DanSolo_
in reply to: DannyHubbard

It is a fix, but it's not "Solved" really. 

You shouldn't have to dig into the registry to make this correction. FAR from "solved" 🙄

This should be a simple menu option built into the software.

Message 16 of 21
akap47

No WheelZoomSpeed in this directory.WHEEL.JPG

Message 17 of 21
alewer

@DannyHubbard wrote:

Most of these settings are now stored in a UserApplicationOptions.xml file which can be found at "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Inventor 2020" instead of in the Windows Registry.

You should be able to edit this file (with Inventor closed) add a line like WheelZoomSpeed below.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Danny

Danny,

This is great news! Can you point me toward any documentation about this file? While I am not interested in changing the default scroll sensitivity, I am really interested in seeing what options I can change (and how to change them) with this file. Additionally, is there any documentation available for the other config files in AppData? There are a number of .xml files and a .json file that look extremely useful.

Message 18 of 21
mayim94
in reply to: alewer

Setting has been moved again -_- possible conspiracy with 3Dconnexion trying to get people to buy a pilot? hahah

Well if anyone knows where this setting has gone in the newest version I would love to know!

Message 19 of 21
SBix26
in reply to: mayim94

In my computer the UserApplicationOptions.xml file is in the location specified by @DannyHubbard.  Do you not find that file in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\<Inventor version>\ folder?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 20 of 21
piotr.burzynski
in reply to: SBix26

And why not just change it here:

piotrburzynski_0-1665478912405.png

In the Inv 2020 version it's simply in Application Options.

And as far as I remember in the earlier ones too.

Regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report