Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion constraints

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Mr_iso
1608 Views, 14 Replies

Motion constraints

The attachment shows a wobble plate assembly that utilizes a gear set for timing during rotation. The rear gear with the key is fixed to a housing. During rotation of the front shaft the angled rotor and wobble plate revolve around the fixed gear with a ball bearing in the center providing a bearing surface via slight spring pressure. This action turns rotary motion into linear motion thus driving push rods and pistons that are not shown. I attempted to attached a working model of this for better illustration and clarity but discovered the system has limits. One motion constraint is all I'm lacking from having a complete working model. I've tried all the constraints, motion constraints and even contact sets but can't find any combination that will keep the gears meshed when roating the shaft. Not sure if I setup contact sets properly or not. It would not allow me to do so in the main assembly. The wobble plate with gear & other items are a sub-assembly and I was forced to open it to apply. This attempt still didn't work. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Mr_iso

Do you have Dynamic Simulation (Inventor Professional)?

Roll up the EOPs.

Save and zip the files.

Attach the assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 15
Mr_iso

I don't have Inventor PRO. What is the largest size file that I can send? Will a shrinkwrap version suffice if I can get it downsized enough or will that blow out all constraints?

Message 4 of 15
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Mr_iso,

As JDMather mentioned, you can use the End Of Part (EOP)  marker to shrink the file size. Just drag it up to the very top of the tree and then save the file in that state. Do this for each file. Then add all of the files to a zip file and upload the zip file.

Autodesk Inventor End of Part.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 15
Mr_iso
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis:

Attached is the zip file with the part files reduced as requested.

Message 6 of 15
JDMather

Do you know the pitch cones between the two gears?

I suspect the solution would be a Motion constraint between the pich cones.

I usually create these as surface bodies in beveled gear sets.

I don't have time to derive them as they are not in the files already.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 15
Mr_iso
in reply to: JDMather

I modeled the gears from ACAD drawings provided by our sister company that just happens to be offshore and incidentally all text is in a foriegn language. I see what might be the pitch cone you are asking about on the drawings. I will experiment with this and attempt the constraint you mention. Thanks for your help.

P.S. Pursuant to the subject of language translation, last year I posted on this board inquiring about the ACAD Mech. langauge translator feature for the purpose of reverse translating a drawing so that I can read our sister companies drawings. I'm not sure my question was fully understood because the replies I got were instructing me on how to translate text as I would be placing it on the drawing. That's not what I need. I want to take the drawings with the foreign language, translate it so I can read it. Is this possible in ACAD Mech?

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

If you use the Gear Generator Design Accelerator you will see the pitch cone surfaces and Motion constraint that is automatically created by Inventor when you use the gear generator.

Message 9 of 15
Mr_iso

After much diligence I was finally able to make this work. I think it worked the 1st time I tried contact sets but I got no movement when I grabbed the rotor for rotation and gave up on it. After suppressing many features on the parts, moving my files to an isolated drive to eliminate network issues, the contact set feature will keep the teeth in time. Apparently all the tangency contact points between the teeth really tax the computer processor while in motion (And mine is brand new). The aforementioned suppression really helps but it still rotates at a very slow rate. The files are attached for anyone who wants to see it in action. Make sure you activate contact solver and you can suppress the ball bearing to witness the teeth mesh.

Thanks for your help and all the suggestions.

Message 10 of 15
JDMather

Contact sets are calculation intensive.

A Motion constraint between conic surfaces would be much more efficient.

- a key in any case an Drive Constraint on an angle constraint to drive the shaft would be the best way to impart motion rather than dragging by mouse.

Message 11 of 15
SBix26

Regarding translation: I simply copy and paste the text to Google Translator.  Not perfect translations, but pretty good, at least for the few languages that I have some knowledge of.  For technical stuff you can usually figure out what's intended.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 12 of 15
Mr_iso

Hello JDMather:

I can't keep the teeth engaged attempting what you describe. No doubt I am missing something here but I have included the cone angles and plugged in a starting angle for driving the constraint angle. The motion works but the teeth do not stay engaged. Efficiency as you mention is definitely what I'm after for future animation of my complete model. Have you or anyone else on the forum seen this constraint scenario before where gear teeth are used exclusively for timing and the gears are not really rotating but one follows a path around the other gear that is fixed?

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

I don't have time to go through this to find the problem, but a couple of observations -

I would not use Contact Set - turn the Solver off.

The cones for pitch should be tangent (but I'm not really sure this matters since your ratio is 1:1).

I always rename my angle constraint for driving as Drive This so that it is clear which constraint to drive.

I always use Directed Angle to create the constraint.

I have used this technique with planetary gear sets (one gear locked).

Do the initial alignment of teeth by eye (suppress constraint, drag with mouse and then unsupress constraint).

Message 14 of 15
JDMather

I took a bit longer look at this - and I suspect the wobble plate angle isn't correct.

Message 15 of 15
JDMather

Look at what Extrusion5 does to your hole in the wobble plate?

I don't think this has a real bearing on the problem, but when I start to reverse engineer things like this - any mistakes in basic stuff start to worry me about the overall design.

I think I would sart with just the two gears and get that motion correct before proceeding to the rest of the mechanism.

Hole.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report