Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling help required

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
rhasell
793 Views, 9 Replies

Modeling help required

Hi all.

I am struggling to get my head around a design method.  I have a rolled arch with a direction changes between joints. (screen shot attached.)  I need to run a rope extrusion over the top of the arch, whilst keeping the back of the extrusion flat, so as to connect to a cleat. The issue appears to be that the cleat does not follow the top quadrant of the arches.

It is really difficult to explain, hopefully the model might explain it a little easier.

I have attached a model of one side.

I have place a 2D section of extrusion in the model to play with, is can be clearly seen that it does not work. Though it does give an idea of what is required as well as highlight the area of concern.

- How do I construct the geometry allowing me to join the extrusions from left to top then right without twisting the back of the extrusion, and allowing me to weld cleats on a arch?

- Any advice will be appreciated.

Sometimes trying to match an Architecs wish can be troublesome.

iso view.JPG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
scottph
in reply to: rhasell

I don't know if this is what you are trying to achieve, but I hope the attachment helps.  I replaced the old problematic component with a new one.

Phillip

Message 3 of 10
rhasell
in reply to: scottph

Hi Phillip

I never thanked you for giving the sweep a crack. I ended up using the existing sweep, (Not the one uploaded to the forum) Which looked identical to yours. I also had an external consultant give it a go in AutoCAD, which also looked the same.

Anyway, long story short, I have attempted to detail the part and have sent it in for manufacture. Once the structure is assembled, I will try and get some photos and also let you all know how it turned out.

Reg
Message 4 of 10
scottph

Thanks for the update - I'm happy it turned out well for you.

Incidentally I am very curious to know what it is you are designing.  It looks intriguing.

Phillip

Message 5 of 10
rhasell

Hi

Its a shade cover for a new development in Western Australia.

See Architects request, and the final model sent for shops.

Architec-Request.JPG

final model.JPG

This is what we do, Tensile membrane Structures.

Reg
Message 6 of 10
scottph

Thanks, Reg.

That looks like a very elegant design to me.  Thank you for sharing it, and congratulations on it.

Phillip

Message 7 of 10
rhasell

Hi

These were taken the other day, and I thought I would post some.

Reg
Message 8 of 10
robmatthews

Nice work! That first pic is a cracker; i had just about decided it was a render before having a look at the other two.

Well done.

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 9 of 10
rhasell
in reply to: robmatthews

Thanks.

I must admit the first time I saw it, I also thought it was a render. But the image info even has the camera details attached.

This particular structure won an award as well.

Attached are the rest of them.

Reg
Message 10 of 10
scottph

Thanks for sharing the pictures. They look great. A very elegant design.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report