Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing material properties

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
2789 Views, 12 Replies

Missing material properties

Hello,

I'm having problems with my materials.

When I place a steel part from the Content Center something strange happens. In the top it shows : Steel, Mild and Steel but when I open Iproperties it shows that the part has no Mass and no Density.

When I look in the BOM of my assembly it show just rubish under material. 

After the change in 2014 I don't know where to look anymore.

I hope that one of you has some thought about this.

Thanks Toon

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Nicolas.Bourquin
in reply to: Anonymous

Dear Toon,

have you tried to change the density in the material / physical properties with a value different than 0  ?

>> open the content center component >> Tools >> Material >> Double click "Steel, Mild" >> Physical Tab >> Expand Mechanical >> Add a value under "density">> ok

>> right click on the component name in the browser >> iproperties >> physical >> update

=> now you should get a mass for this component

>> repeat for all the CC components

>> go back to the assembly >> BOM >> all the components should have mpw a mass value.

I hope that will help

Best Regards

Nicolas Bourquin
Message 3 of 13
Cadmanto

Is this a material that you have created or is this an out of the box material.

What happens if you change the material to something else.  Do you get the same results?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hei Cadmanto,

It is a standard material. I tried to change it to something else but all materials from the "Metal" category seem to be blank.

Toon

Message 5 of 13
AlexFielder

Hi Toon, Cadmanto,

We just noticed this morning that our Inventor metals library is suffering from the same issue- the only reason we spotted it is because our drawings need a mass/density value in the drawing frame.

None of the metals we have are functioning correctly if used in new part files. Existing part files are unaffected. The other materials are functioning correctly though.

We are using Inventor 2014 Professional.

Thanks,

Alex.

EDIT: The (albeit tedious) fix seems to be as described by Nicolas Bourquin earlier in the thread: manually editing the property makes it stick. It begs the question though as to why this is happening and makes me wonder how many other users haven't spotted it/been affected by it?

Message 6 of 13
AlexFielder
in reply to: AlexFielder

Actually, there is a way around the Inventor Material fail:

If the part has a metal material assigned from the Inventor Material Library, the density gets set to 100:

inventor_material_fail.PNG

If the same material is assigned from the Autodesk Material Library it works:

autodesk_material_win.PNG

🙂

Message 7 of 13
Cadmanto

I am not seeing this and I am using 2014.

material.jpg

and I tried changing to a couple of different metal materials.

Are you using a student edition by some chance?  Have you uploaded all of the latest SP's and hot fixes?

I am wondering if you are going to have to reload the software completely.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 8 of 13
AlexFielder
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Cadmanto, We are using a mix of Product Design Suite Ultimate and Premium 2014. No student version(s). All machines have Service Pack 1, Update 2 installed. Thanks, Alex.
Message 9 of 13
chrisbstone

We've been having several issues with inventor materials as well but seemingly with only certain ones.

After you create a new part and try to assign a material to it, certain materials won't allow the selection to "stick" and the material will switch back to default. 

Another more critical issue that occurs is that the material will show it has been switched and "sticks." However, when you view the parts iproperties all values are displayed as default (with density always being 1.000 g/cm^3) despite the part showing that a material was assigned.

Anyone experiencing the same issues and/or know of a fix to this? We're thinking it might have something to do with the styles settings but can't really pin down the problem.   

Message 10 of 13
larsolav100

I am having the same problem. Half of the materials in the material libraries is not showing any mass. Dis some one ever find a solution for this?

Message 11 of 13
larsolav100

I am having the same problem. Half of the materials in the material libraries is not showing any mass. Dis some one ever find a solution for this? I am now using inventor 2021. 

Message 12 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: larsolav100

Hi! Is it Autodesk Material Library or Inventor Material Library or a custom library? Go to Get Started -> Projects -> lower panel -> Material Library. Activate Inventor Material Library or Autodesk Material Library. Does it work better now?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 13
larsolav100
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello

I managed to isolate the error, this only applied to the inventor material library. And as I learned, the inventor library is possible to edit. So, I probably made a mistake here some time ago.

The fix:

Under the "design data folder"* > I replaced the complete material folder with a folder from a computer which had a "fresh" material folder.

*Default location of design data folder is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2021\Design Data

But I our company it has been moved to a Vault location, so it might not be in this location.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report