Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing FEA results

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Jabm
645 Views, 4 Replies

Missing FEA results

Hi there,

My computer has just spent the last few days running though several different FEA simulations on an assembly I am working on (I can't post the file here). When I got into work this morning, the simulations had finished running with no warnings, so I saved and closed the assembly. Now when I open the assembly, Inventor askes me to find the .fins .ftes .fsat .fwiz and .fmsh files (not the .fres file). I have done a search of my entire hard drive (I'm not using Vault) and not found the files Inventor is looking for. When I skip finding the files so that I can open the assembly and go to the 'Stress Analysis' tab and look at the different simulations, some of the simulations have results, and some don't. Is spending the next couple of days running the simulations again the only way to get the missing results? Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening again?

I'm using Inventor Pro 2014 on Win-7 64bit with i7-4960X, 64GB ram.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Jabm

May or may not be your issue - I think they fixed this in around 2011 or 2012 for the stress analysis environment - but how many levels of directory would you have to go through to get to the missing files, if they were there?  If you wrote out the entire path - like, for instance "c:\project\customer\assembly\part\aip\etc\etc\etc\whatever.fwiz" how many characters would you have?  I've had a couple instances where the files that Inventor wanted to create exceeded the legal number of characters for filenames, when the paths were taken into account, and as a result Inventor was either unable to access them or simply unable to create them in the first place, depending on how long the file+path actually was.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Jabm
in reply to: LT.Rusty

The path isn’t particularly long. Plus, I have been using the exact same path up until now with no problems.

Couple of updates: The next time I opened the assembly, ALL results had disappeared (whereas previously some of the simulations still contained viewable results). Forces/moments on some simulations had reset to 0 N/Nm. Meshes had disappeared, and I was unable to create any new meshes. I gave up on it and created new simulations, which are currently running now.

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Jabm

@Jabm wrote:
 I have done a search of my entire hard drive (I'm not using Vault)....

Are you using Projectes (*.ipj).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
Jabm
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, using .ipj.

Before restarting, I created a couple of test simulations from the assembly with a significant amount of the geometry excluded from the simulations and ran them with no problems.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report