Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirroring Assembly with drawings etc.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
730 Views, 5 Replies

Mirroring Assembly with drawings etc.

I have a fixture that will have a symetrically opposite fixture. Is there a way to copy/mirror the fixture in vault that would include the drawings?The new fixture would also be in a new project.

I was thinking I would copy the entire design in vault to a new project. I could then open it up and mirror the entire assembly. Would that work? Is there a better or worse way to go about this?

~Matt

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jletcher
in reply to: Anonymous

I never mirror assemblies but thats just me. To many issues and no it will not do the drawing as far as I know. I rather take the time to make it. Or do what every one else does. On the drawing LH SHOWN, RH OPP.

Message 3 of 6
blair

If you really need a mirrored jig, I would just to the "Derive and Mirror". As the previous posted noted, the majority of the drawings will only show one version with notes for LH shown, mirror for RH.

The "Derive and Mirror" will only result in a single part for your mirrored version, but it's generally good enough to show in a Iso view. Also if you make changes to the primary assembly jig, these changes will be carried over to the Derived and Mirrored IPT.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Do you really need to mirror the entire assembly or could you simply mirror the fixture? You may be able to derive a mirrored part (I have never tried) and use that in the drawings.

Depending upon the size of the assembly, mirroring will double it's size and possibly impact the performance of Inventor, especially if it is large to begin with.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Yes most parts are typically noted. This however is a gage and for documentation purposes the customer has to have a file for each gage.

I can derive and mirror but that won't do anything for the drawing will it?

I'd have to drop the fixturing and all the details etc into another drawing. Just looking for an easy way out. In the "Old days" we just mirrored the 2D drawing 🙂

~Matt

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Do you really need to mirror the entire assembly or could you simply mirror the fixture?

Some of the details would not have to be mirrored, but most of the assembly would have to be.

Unlike much of the design world when we design gages we have everything in one file. We don't put one detail on every sheet. So if I have to redraw the fixture or any part of it I'm pretty much stuck redesigning the whole thing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report