Inventor General Discussion

pb12345
Message 1 of 4 (379 Views)
Accepted Solution

Mirror trouble

379 Views, 3 Replies
11-09-2012 07:06 AM

Hello Inventor users!

I have a problem with the mirror feature. As illustrated in the 4 pictures below, I first create a part, then try to mirror it and get a part, that is not mirrored at all. It's rather just copied and shifted.

So what could be the problem here? Anybody had similar issues?

Best regards, pb

edit:

Apparently, you can't mirror modified parts from the content center correctly... It works with parts that I created entirely myself. I can understand that with bolts and nuts from the content center, but L-shapes?

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 4 (340 Views)

Re: Mirror trouble

11-09-2012 09:41 AM in reply to: pb12345

If parts still reside within the CC (most likely they are Read Only) you need to save the parts as Custom when you are creating them from the CC.

Mirroring within a IPT will create a mirror of the source along with the mirror. If you want to create a RH part and then mirror it to have a LH part as well, look at Derived function. Create your RH part, save and close it, then start a new part, close the sketch and return to the Feature level. Then select Derive, it will ask for the source part(your RH part), select this from the file select window. Then within the Derive window there is a box that needs to be selected for Mirror. This will then produce your LH part.

If the link is maintained, any changes to the base part (RH part) will be updated to the LH (mirrored) part.

Using the Mirror function within the IPT environment is really only good for designing a IPT that one side/half is a mirror of the other side.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
*Pro
sbixler
Message 3 of 4 (298 Views)

11-11-2012 12:31 PM in reply to: pb12345

In Step 3, you show the dialog box with "Reuse Standard Content and Factory Parts" checked.  What happens if you uncheck that?

pb12345
Message 4 of 4 (247 Views)

11-15-2012 08:04 AM in reply to: sbixler

Thanks a lot. Inserting with the custom option in the content center seems to do the trick.

I still find it a little odd, that the CC part apparently will mirror correctly, while the modifications on the part will not...

pb

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube