Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror assembly update?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Tozen
9379 Views, 13 Replies

Mirror assembly update?

I have an assembly and have made a "mirror assembly"... so far so good. But if I then add components to the first assembly and want them to show up in the "mirrored assembly", how do I create this?
Do I have to select them one by one and make an additional "mirror procedure" or is there a way to update the mirrored assembly?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
andrewiv
in reply to: Tozen

If you used the mirror components command there is no way to automatically make it update. You would just need to insert the new parts into both assemblies. You might want to look into derived assemblies.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 14
Travis_j_t

I think there is a couple ways to mirror assemblies, and one of them makes it derived so it would be able to update. if i have some time ill look into it further.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

The Mirror Components tool is not associative for the assembly structure, only the part
geometries (which use Derive).

You could instead make a Derived Assembly of the source assembly, then a Derive Part with
the Mirror option activated.

Please note that in R2008 we have added the Mirror (and Scale) options to Derived
Assembly.

Regards,
Pete

wrote in message news:5517639@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have an assembly and have made a "mirror assembly"... so far so good. But if I then add
components to the first assembly and want them to show up in the "mirrored assembly", how
do I create this?
Do I have to select them one by one and make an additional "mirror procedure" or is there
a way to update the mirrored assembly?
Message 5 of 14
rebeccabennett8908

When an assembly is derived it creates a part. This new derived part is grossly inapt. You cannot control certain aspects the visibility, it is incapable of retaining a current LOD. When creating a drawing view it has little detail, but yet creates a file larger than the original assembly. Why oh why not give us the ability the retain associativy to a mirrored part - this literally means HALF the work, did you get that, that means it would be saving 50% of the time to do the work. This is a pretty standard drafting practice.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

How about an example... and files? gal

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009-SP1
PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP
Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Sorry... gal is a mistype... 🙂

--
Expert
Expert.
PcCillin AV
XP

Message 8 of 14
rebeccabennett8908

I do not think that I am alone in my request to retain the relationship to the original in a mirrored assembly, of which seems like a simple enough of a concept by itself, but I will be more than happy to give an example. I really don't think a file is necessary.

A steel tower is usually a symmetrical object. Of which requires extensive detail to each of the potentially thousands of connections between the columns, beams, girders, and bracing. It seams only logical to design only half of the structure if both sides are going to be exactly the same only opposite hand.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the design process, but to summerize, we never know all the information in the beginning, and constant image communication of the evolving design is required, not only just in house but to our clients as well.

Assemble a frame (using frame generator). Create a mirrored derived part. Now you will need to combine the original frame half and the mirrored derived part together in another 'Top' assembly. Now create multiple LODs and veiw reps. You will notice the Derived part will not take on the LOD or the view rep of the Top assembly it will only represent the settings in the original frame file.

Now attempt to make a drawing view. Notice that all of the detail on the original side is available, and the derived side is more like an out line that omits the connection details.

If I mirror my assembly and it changes (which it will many times) I'll need to delete and re-mirror it. But if I've already created dwgs referrencing that view I now have to redo the drawing as well. I'm having a hard time seeing where that saves me any time from just using CAD.

I realize that software development takes time, it also takes feedback, and all I am asking for is a box to check to opt for associativity retention when creating a mirrored assembly. This would save me 1/2 of my time while still giving me all of the versatility of an assembly grouping.

P.S. thank you for your recant of 'gal'.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I've never called a woman a "gal" in my entire life... 🙂 I
dictate my responses rather than type. Dragon Naturally Speaking actually has
the slang in it's dictionary. I did not check my response before I posted...

As to your issue, I don't quite understand the workflow or the
issue without seeing the files. Even a screen capture would help.

--
Expert
Expert.
PcCillin AV
XP

Message 10 of 14
rebeccabennett8908

Ok - Here is a screen shot of the model depicting the LOD issue, the derived part LOD can only be set manually, it will not automatically take on the LOD of the top assembly. This creates the LOD save error, since the top assembly and the parent of the derived is in one LOD and the derived stays in the other. Which can also confuse drawing views. It eats up alot of memory to have to open the derived part every time you want to work on a different LOD. It's also easy to forget to change to the appropriate setting.
Message 11 of 14
rebeccabennett8908

Here is the example of the drawing view detail issue. Notice the connections on the parent part and how on the derived half its comes out as just an outline.
Message 12 of 14
rebeccabennett8908

Ok - so I think I've solved my seam issue.

After I had already created my derived part I kept trying to go back and edit the derived assembly dialogue box settings to select the 'Keep seams between planar faces' box.

I've discovered that if I check this box while I am creating the derived part it will do just that and retain the detail at the seams. But if I don't check this box during the initial creation and try to go back later and check the box, it will not work.

As for my LOD and drawing veiw issue, I am quiet dissapointed. It's almost as if I'm not supposed to create any drawing views until my model is fulley complete (not acceptable in our company). I love the idea of the derived assembly because I can mirror it and it will reflect the design enhancements applied to the original half. The only place that it lacks so far is the ability to manipulate the veiw rep and create accurate 2D drawings.

So, the way I see it is I have my choice of either doubling my work load and creating both sides of my tower to ensure any drawings that I create will reamain representative of the model, or I create one side, mirror my tower over and over and over everytime it requires changes which would mean I will need to manually update all of the drawings referencing that side of the tower.

I am open to any suggestions.
Message 13 of 14
bcitrowske

I agree with you completely, my work sometimes requires me to keep the customer updated with complete designs. Since IV cant mirror a Assembly and figure out how to remate it properly. It would be nice if the mirrored assy would update when machined Assy features are added or more parts are added. 

Message 14 of 14
majidxb

Open the child part. And rigth click on Base component then click on Edit Derived Part then go to the solid bodies select the unchecked solid bodies then click ok. your child will update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report