Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror Multibody Features

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JavaLodge
287 Views, 5 Replies

Mirror Multibody Features

Hello everyone,

I am modelling a multibody solid and I have a feature that I want to mirror.  This feature, a hole, goes through two bodies.  When I try to mirror this feature, the mirror dialog only lets me choose one body to apply the mirror to.  I can't have the mirrored hole go through two bodies like the original hole.

I found an old thread that dealt with this, but it seems there was no resolution except for alternate methods, which I already knew I could do.  It just seems to me that using the mirror feature is better because it means I can have a simpler sketch.  I know I can have all the center points I want in one sketch, but that means I have to add a bunch of extra lines in the sketch to mirror across.  Or I could just use two mirror features, but it seems silly to me to have to use two mirror features when one should be able to do the trick.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.  I've included a sample part, and it's a 2014 version.

mdavis22569
in reply to: JavaLodge

Why not do a Derived (mirror opposite) vs Mirror itself

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
JavaLodge
in reply to: mdavis22569

Can you go into more detail as to what you mean? Unless I'm wrong, wouldn't doing that require making a new part and thus undermine the entire point of multibody modelling?

open a blank ipt .... under the manage tab ... pick Dervied Pick your file that you want to mirror, then at the bottom of the pop up it says mirror opposite, check that box and say ok ...save and poof opposite that will update as needed ...and one that you can add too

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
JavaLodge
in reply to: mdavis22569

Ah, ok thank you.  I have used that method before.  Again, doesn't having to make a new part completely undermine the multibody method?  I thought the idea was to be able to model an assembly as one part and then output that to a set of part files, making one easily updateable master part that controls all the other ones...

Now that I put it like that, I supposed a derived and mirrored part would still be controlled by the one master file, but it doesn't seem ideal to me.  Perhaps I'll just make a suggestion in the idea station to make multibody solid features mirror-able.

Hi! This is indeed a limitation on mirroring features across multiple solids. You may also create another mirror feature just for cutting the second body.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report