Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 1 of 15 (512 Views)

Minimum segment length violation in tube & pipe runs?

512 Views, 14 Replies
01-02-2014 02:02 PM

I keep getting this minimum segment length message after running tubing routes. I've already configured the tube style and entered the minimum length I want. I place tube fittings before I run tubing, so I don't include fittings/couplings in my tube style. The lengths of the segments are equal to or longer than the segment rule I entered, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error message. I also get a message saying that a segment will violate the rule once fittings are placed, even though I've opted out of using fittings in the style. To get around this error I've been having to go into each route and edit the sketch to make the problem segments longer. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 2 of 15 (476 Views)

Re: Minimum segment length violation in tube & pipe runs?

01-03-2014 06:21 AM in reply to: hheng1111
Anyone?
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 3 of 15 (465 Views)

01-03-2014 08:34 AM in reply to: hheng1111

hheng1111 wrote:

I keep getting this minimum segment length message after running tubing routes. I've already configured the tube style and entered the minimum length I want. I place tube fittings before I run tubing, so I don't include fittings/couplings in my tube style. The lengths of the segments are equal to or longer than the segment rule I entered, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error message. I also get a message saying that a segment will violate the rule once fittings are placed, even though I've opted out of using fittings in the style. To get around this error I've been having to go into each route and edit the sketch to make the problem segments longer. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks in advance for the help.

I believe that if a fitting placed in your route will cause a length violation, you will get this message even if you have specified no fittings in your style.  Often where i run into this is with elbows (rigid piping) that cause the resulting segment to be too short.  You say you place fittings before you route?  Can you describe your workflow in more detail so I understand?

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 4 of 15 (437 Views)

01-03-2014 02:16 PM in reply to: cbenner
The vendor we get tube fittings from provides 3D models for download. I have these models saved to a library and place those into assemblies whenever I need them. So I'll place a fitting at one point, another at a second point and run the route from fitting to fitting.
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 5 of 15 (409 Views)

01-06-2014 08:25 AM in reply to: hheng1111

So, you place your fittings with standard assembly constraints, and the route between them?  Are you aware you can probably author and publish these to be used inline as part of the Tube & Pipe module?  Regardless, I still can't figure why you're getting segment length violations.  Is it possible to post screen shots or a small assembly that exhibits this behavior?

ChrisB

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 6 of 15 (400 Views)

01-06-2014 11:12 AM in reply to: cbenner

I just started using the tube & pipe environment recently, so I haven't gotten that far yet. I will definitely look into it though. I attached files for a very simple assembly and also screenshots of my style rules and the length of the segment giving issues. You'll see that I constrained my fittings first and then ran the tubing.

Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 7 of 15 (395 Views)

01-06-2014 11:33 AM in reply to: hheng1111

Ok, I see now how you are using the fittings, and there is nothing wrong with it.  Since these are end fittings, I would probably do it the same way (with constraints and then routing between them.)

Try this:  In your Measure box, hit the arrow on the right, go down to Precision and select All Decimals.  Let's see if this is a rounding issue.  (see my pic).  Maybe that segment is actually .99999999 in, or something like that and Inventor is rounding up to 1 in.  Another thing you could do is manually change the radius of that first bend to 1/2" and see if that solves it.  Just as a test.  I suspect it is a rounding issue.... let's check that.

alld.JPG

ChrisB

Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 8 of 15 (387 Views)

01-06-2014 11:59 AM in reply to: cbenner
The measurement still shows one after selecting all decimals. Manually changing the radius of that bend does fix the problem, but the initial value of 0.625 is what I am needing. The program is following the rules I specified when it's generating the tube path, so it doesn't seem like an issue of how the path is drawn.
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 9 of 15 (380 Views)

01-06-2014 12:16 PM in reply to: hheng1111

Ok,... I'm running out of ideas (sorry!)... but try this:  Edit your route and make that one inch segment longer than one inch by maybe 1/4"?  It is possible that, since your next segment is not perpendicular to the first, that when the bend id applied the angle may cut away form the 1" segment... even by a tiny amount.... and throw it off the rule.

If this doesn't do it.... I'm not sure what to check next.  I can't open your assembly because I'm still on 2013.  But if this doesn't help, I can ask some other folks if they'd take a look at it for you.

ChrisB

Active Contributor
hheng1111
Message 10 of 15 (371 Views)

01-06-2014 12:36 PM in reply to: cbenner
I tried to run a route in the shape of a "U" with all segments on the same plane, but I still get the same error. Increasing the minimum segment length rule didn't make a difference. I really want to say it's an issue with the program at this point, but I have no way of confirming that myself of course. I appreciate all the time you've taken trying to help me out.
Windows 7 64-bit
Inventor Pro 2015

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube