Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum hard drive space?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
EDDIEB33
1791 Views, 7 Replies

Minimum hard drive space?

What should be the minimum hard drive free space used to run Inventor 2012?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: EDDIEB33

Hard drives are pretty cheap - if you are really pushing the edge of filling it up - it might be time for a new hard drive or computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
dave.anderson

Here's the readme for Inventor 2012: http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-inventor/system-requirements/

Looks like you'll need 15gb min for installation.

If you have a Suite it will be more.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 8
EDDIEB33

We are using 2010 Pro here.  But going to upgrade to 2012 soon.  I was just having trouble with my undo folder filling up and realized my HD was almost completely filled up.  After I cleared some stuff up, I didnt get that error anymore.  But still I only have a 75 GB hard drive with about 5 GB or less space free.  I mean I have 80 GB on my IPOD, so come on now...  Just wanted some recommendations to show to our IT department here, and maybe I wouldn't be having as many error issues coming up all of the time.

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

@EDDIEB33 wrote:

I only have a 75 GB hard drive with about 5 GB or less space free.

Ouch!  How old is that machine?  My 4 or 5 year old, nothing special 32-bit laptop has a 220G HDD.
Push IT for a new computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
EDDIEB33
in reply to: JDMather

Yeah I know I just wanted some suggestions, since the link for system requirements doesn't say much about what size hard drive or free space you would need.  It says 15 GB for installation, but what size drive to run Inventor efficiently with some complex assemblies. 

Message 7 of 8
msklein

Just to give you an idea my personal ,new mid range laptop came with a hard drive in the 500 gig range. I also saw an add last week or so for a external hard drive in the 1 terabyte range for only $60-70 at the big box computer store. Drives and memory are cheep, IT should know that. Our it is in process of upping an additional 8 gig to all systems. Small company just 5 total in engineering.

MSK

Message 8 of 8
Dennis_Jeffrey

Any size hard drive runs with most efficiency at less than 60% full. More than that, they start slowing down.

Even my new training systems systems have 500 GB 7200 rpm  drives.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report