Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Security Essentials and Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
coemter
763 Views, 6 Replies

Microsoft Security Essentials and Inventor

Recently i updated all workstations to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) anti virus. Now we notice some big performance issues when loading and saving to the Vault store.

The MSE is in default configuration, including real time protection.

Can this be a reason for the performance issue ?

And what will be the best configuration (if any)  of MSE to work with Inventor ?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ampster401
in reply to: coemter

I use WSE and have no issues.  There was nothing that needed configuring in WSE in order to function with Inventor.

If you had McAfee or Norton, you may have left over stuff in the registry and such.  I know Norton provides tools to completely uninstall their software on their website, I don't know if McAfee odes however.

edit, however I do not use Vault so maybe there is something there, I can't imagine WSE would be scanning native Inventor files...

Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr

real time protection is scanning the files.. Typically with most virus programs you can add file extensions to ignore.. (I always put .iam, .ipt, .idw,etc.. into the ignore list or you can put a folder to ignore.

Simply turning off real time protection to see if it gets faster again. (then add the ignore list and turn it back on)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
karthur1

I use MSE too on about 10 workstations.  No issues here.

What version of Vault are you using?

Message 5 of 7
coemter

Thank you for your input.

I was observing how disable real time protection change the performance. Without real time protection enabled performance is as before installing MSE.

[ Inventor + Vault 2011 ]

Message 6 of 7
hans.martin.haga

You can configure MSE to only scan new incoming files, and also exclude entire folders or file types. See the settings tab.

Message 7 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: hans.martin.haga

I could be wrong, but I think that "exclude files,file types and process" from the system scan.  This helps speed up the system scan, but doesnt do anything to reduce the resources that MSE uses.

With the Real-Time protection turned on, you can choose to monitor all files, only incoming files or only outgoing files.  I dont see any way to exclude only certian process from the real-time protection.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report