Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mates Help

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Joe_Banger
588 Views, 9 Replies

Mates Help

Hello

am looking for a SW 'mates' equivalent.

I can see that i can add restratints (i.e one face in line with, or a set distance from, another) however would like to make two vertices on two parts colinear for instance. (also 'in plane' with, perpendicular to, etc.)

Have tried for AGES to make them colinear.

Thanks for any help, gentlefolk of the forums

Joe

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: Joe_Banger

Look/search on Contraints and if you are on IV2014 Joints

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
robmatthews

The word you are looking for is "Constraints".

Within your iam file, if you click the constrain button on the "Assemble" tab, you should be able to select the vertex of each part in turn.

Is this not possible for you?

Constrain.png

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 4 of 10
gsmith9810

Joe,

You should be able to select the vertex of a part while applying a MATE constraint.

There may be times when what you want to apply the constraint to is not a "real" part of your assembly (for whatever reason: could be early design phase, etc...) - just remember, you can certainly add a temporary part, place your constrainst and then make the temporary part invisible by undisplaying it.

It sounds like you may also need to become more comfortable with the SELECT OTHER capability.

HTH, 

Gary

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 5 of 10
Joe_Banger

Thanyou to all of your help thus far.

I guess what I'm missing is the ability to place a part either parallel or perpendicular to another, without specifying a distance - so i can drag it about (whilst constrained parallel, for instance) however i like.

Thanks again for the tips.

Joe

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

You should be able to do this - I don't understand the difficulty - can you attach an example assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
gsmith9810

Well, you can optionally have Inventor specify the distance for you so you don't have to fill in a value, but there will still be a value applied.
-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 8 of 10
blair

Possibly use the Angle Constraint, will keep the faces in the same direction allowing you to drag them around. These are basic Inventor skills that should have been covered in your training.

You might want to spend time on YouTube and seach Inventor and watch the tutorials that have been done.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: blair

I think the OP is simply looking for Mate-Flush, but without the Inventor files....  ...or even SWx files....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
mrattray

I'm sure there's a way to do whatever you're trying to do. Do some tutorials, watch some videos. If you still can't figure it out post some example parts and some screen shots illustrating what you're trying to accomplish and one of us will be happy to help you.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report