Inventor General Discussion

Product Support
bespenship
Message 11 of 21 (384 Views)

Re: Materials - Eh!

07-23-2012 09:52 AM in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hi Neil,

I'll look into fixing that - thanks for pointing it out.  On when I'm on the page, I see the Autodesk logo and "Employee", so I wasn't aware that you arent seeing the same.  I've been with Autodesk for 14 years, and my login ID predates when we made the change to having everyone create IDs the identify themselves as employees, which may be the issue.

I am legit - LOL - I'm in the QA group and work with Chris, Johnson, and others in our organization who respond more frequently.

Cheers,

-Brent-

Brent Espenship
Fusion 360 Quality
Macbook Pro retina - MacOS X 10.9
Win 8.1 (Bootcamp / Parallels)
Valued Contributor
Neil_Cross
Message 12 of 21 (380 Views)

07-23-2012 10:01 AM in reply to: bespenship

Ah, thanks for clarifying that! Apologies for the reply, I thought you were some random one man band geezer trying pose as Autodesk to sell something! As a result I didn't read the PDF you posted, but I will.

I've recently received an invite to participate in the beta testing of SP1 for Inventor 2013... the list of fixes surrounding the materials and appearance library is staggering... and that's not a good thing! It demonstrates a very poorly tested function and to be honest, only goes to support the folk out there who hold back before upgrading to the latest release.  Off topic, but have you seen how many crashing issues are currently in the product! It's frightening.

But anyway thanks for the reply and clarifying that :-)

CAD & Data Management Consultant

Inventor 2013 Certified Professional
Product Support
bespenship
Message 13 of 21 (366 Views)

07-23-2012 10:54 AM in reply to: Neil_Cross

No worries - better safe than sorry. I'm glad to hear you're on the SP1 beta list.

We have been particularly aggressive in finding and addressing issues in SP1. I would definately like to get to a point where there are no quality considerations in the timing of moving to the next release of Inventor for any of our customers.

There are issues in the product, either inadvertent or by design where you (our customers) tell us that we missed the mark. Again, we are listening and responding.

Brent Espenship
Fusion 360 Quality
Macbook Pro retina - MacOS X 10.9
Win 8.1 (Bootcamp / Parallels)
Valued Contributor
Neil_Cross
Message 14 of 21 (344 Views)

07-23-2012 11:52 PM in reply to: bespenship

Hmm, I know you have good intentions as do most of the Autodesk team... but on face value, Autodesk have had 18 releases to get it right, 18 releases to learn the lessons of the previous attempt, 18 releases to stamp out the instability we're seeing today and on a daily basis, and even this very latest release they're implementing 'new' functions that in turn break something which worked perfectly fine before.  We all know that sometimes change is a positive forward step, but I do wonder at times what the bods in HQ are thinking when I see some of the garbage that makes it into the product.

I'll be installing SP1 today and hopefully that will sort out the library issues, I have a load of users biting my **** wanting materials added into the library!

CAD & Data Management Consultant

Inventor 2013 Certified Professional
*Pro
jletcher
Message 15 of 21 (301 Views)

07-24-2012 12:50 PM in reply to: Neil_Cross

Moving a company to other software is not my call that is up to the owner of the company. And what he is looking at right now if his guys have to re-learn to update he might as well look at other software. They have a few demos Inventor 2013 and they sat for a day playing. 5 engineers walked away say all kinds of bad word 3 wanted to shot the computer and 1 refused to touch it LOL..

But as the owner stated if Autodesk is going to make their software for manufactures into some cartoon colorful art work then they lost what manufactures need. He said the cost is out of this world and its because of all this crap we manufactures don't need. He could care less if all his parts are yellow with pink poke a dots as long as it is stable and easy. He said he only went to 3D  because he feels eveyone is going that way so he did. they still have a few engineers that refuse to use it and are still using autocad 2000. I don't need bells and whistles I need parts produced.......... Was his comment....

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
Distinguished Contributor
richiesuk
Message 16 of 21 (229 Views)

10-04-2012 09:03 AM in reply to: bespenship

what a mess and €€####.....this new material library..

Valued Contributor
marshallw
Message 17 of 21 (118 Views)

05-28-2014 02:09 PM in reply to: bespenship

Thanks SO much, Product Support! I REALLY APPRECIATE you due dilligence on this one! Here I am in Inventor PRO 2015 & ALL THE LIBRARIES ARE STILL LOCKED! Gee, for people aware of a serious problem, you sure are on the ball!

Employee
ChrisMitchell01
Message 18 of 21 (107 Views)

05-28-2014 02:57 PM in reply to: marshallw

I'm not aware of any issues with libraries being locked incorrectly in 2015; not saying there aren't any problems, but I haven't heard...

Can you provide any further info ? Are you working as part of a larger team accessing the same files ?

Where are the libraries ? On a network drive  or UNC share or local ? Are they vaulted as part of a Design Data folder ?

Do you have full write access to the entire path to where the adsklib files are ?

If you look at the materials browser & expand out the libraries, do you see a lock icon next to the library or some other error ? Has anyone else modified the libraries recently & have they released the lock ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Inventor Customer Engagement Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Contributor
marshallw
Message 19 of 21 (69 Views)

06-02-2014 09:10 AM in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Chris,

Thanks for the response. In answer to your questions:

A) Working solo.

B) Libraries in default location

C) System Administrator - full access to all paths.

D) Lock icons averywhere. Project "Use Style Library" function set to "Read/Write".

Still working on why material appearances won't change/update. Trying to figure out some pattern or sequence as to why before I send further info on this.

Thanks

Marshall

Valued Contributor
mbenoy
Message 20 of 21 (59 Views)

06-02-2014 11:33 AM in reply to: marshallw

Don't know if it will help or not but I did have this happen once on 2013.  Turns out the .asdklib material library file was corrupt.  Inventor could read the current data in the file but would not save changes.  Luckily, I did a backup every time I made a change to our materials, so I went back one version and it worked fine.

Michael Benoy
Designer
Scott Safety

Inventor 2013 Pro, Windows 7, 64bit
Intel® Xeon® Processor W3580 (8M Cache, 3.33 GHz)
12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube