Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Favorites does not update when I update my Materials

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
1732 Views, 5 Replies

Material Favorites does not update when I update my Materials

I made a change to my materials library.  I changed the color (from dark grey to light grey) of one material.  I then saved this back to my library.

Now, when I start a new part, I get a warning that the material does not match the library.  So, rather than using the material in the part, I opened the template and updated the material to match the library. (Manage >Update Styles).

This is where the problems come into play. In the update styles dialog, if I compare materials against my custom materials and then compare it to my Favorites, it just a continuious circle.  It is like the favorites are stored inside the part and do not get updated to match the custom materials library. (I thought the whole idea behind using a library was to get the information out of the parts).

Here is a short video showing what it does.  http://screencast.com/t/as9qngvbCXg

The only way I can get the favorites to match is to delete the favorite material, update the style and the add the favorite back in.  That is a bunch of work.  The problem I got with this is that there are thousands of parts that have been created that has this favorite in it. Smiley Mad The only way to update these is to open each part (if I knew which one), delete the favorite, update the materials and then add the favorite back in.

Is this my workflow or is this how the materials should work?  Not really happy with it right now.Smiley Sad

I see the same thing in 2013 and 2014.

Kirk

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

To solve the issue as you mentioned in paragraph 2, a confliction dialog pops up due to your template assets is not the same with your user library, you have to update the template manually to avoid the dialog. steps as below:

Your question: Now, when I start a new part, I get a warning that the material does not match the library. So, rather than using the material in the part, I opened the template and updated the material to match the library. (Manage >Update Styles).

Solution:

1. Create a new a part or other files

2. Update command, compare with your the default library as in project setting, OK to finish.

3. Save copy as Template to your template folder

4. Create a new part again, the dialog will never pops up again.

Please let me know for further more questions.

Xun
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Xun,

Updating my template to match the library is not the issue.  The issue starts after I do that.  Now that the template is updated, when I update an existing part to the new library, the "Favorites" that is stored in the part will not sync with the library.  It is an endless circle.

There is a support request for this issue.  See case #09042708.

Kirk

Message 4 of 6
Xun.Zhang

Hi Kirk,

If I understand correctly, the issue should be a sync issue between user library, Favorite library and Document library.

Please follow steps below to resolve it.

Pre-conditions:

1. Download Inventor 2014 SP1 and install it.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22322619&linkID=9242019

2. Update the template

3. Make sure the assets were exactly the same between user library and Favorite library

Steps:

1. Open your document

2. Update, compare with either user library nor user library, finish it

3. Update again for check purpose.

Result in Step 3: No asset listed when compare with Favorite or user library (video attached)

Any more questions, please let me know.

Xun
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

Same issue in inventor 2018.

Are you able to upload the video again?

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 6 of 6
NaCly_Fries

I know this is a really old thread, but I had the same (or very similar) issue.

I added a new material called "Unassigned" and created an appearance with the same name. This is the default material in the template and stands out as a bright purple so that it's easy to see if you forgot to assign a material.

Every time a new part was created, I was met with the "differing style library" popup.

Whenever I clicked "update", there was nothing in the box until I clicked the dropdown and selected "FavoriteMaterials"

It's like the material was set up as a "Favorite" material in the template but not in my library. I did NOT want it set as a favorite so I tried "Save" and "Purge" which showed nothing at all.

Opening the Template and then saving was not working.

The fix was just to create a NEW part and then "Save Copy as Template", overwriting the old template, and that somehow fixed it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report