Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Colors Vary by Version?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
iamerm
1377 Views, 7 Replies

Material Colors Vary by Version?

Attached is an image of a frame-generated assembly.  The (5) cross members on the left of the image are identical to the (5) cross members on the right (same family, size, & material).  However the (5) on the left were originally made in an earlier version of Inventor (probably 2009), & I just added the (5) on the right in Inventor 2014.

The older members have been migrated to the current version, yet you can see a clear color difference between the new version & the old version.  Why is it that the colors do not match, & is there a way to fix this?  Thanks in advance for any insights.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
-niels-
in reply to: iamerm

Not entirely the right image, but on the manage tab there are option to "update" and "purge" the styles in a document.

purge.PNG

Migration will not update the styles in a document, so that is why you are seeing the color difference.

The colors were changed around version 2011 i think, might be a release earlier but you are enough versions apart to see it.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 8
cwhetten

I noticed this too.  I had a piece of pipe that I modeled a while ago (Inventor 2011, I think) that I opened the other day in 2014.  It was white, like actual white.  But the same part modeled from scratch, with a new custom appearance with identical settings, will look gray.  See the image below.

As soon as I try to change any appearance setting in the original part, it turns gray.  For example, changing the finish from High Gloss/Glazed (the original setting after migrating) to Satin, as soon as I do, the part turns gray.  If I change it back to High Gloss/Glazed, it stays gray.  There is no way to get it to look like it used to.  So instead of a nice white, shiny part, I get a dull gray.  All with identical settings.  It's frustrating.

Color Difference.png

I noticed this is true of other appearance styles as well.  Most of them are muted, dark, almost dirty compared to the bright colors we used to be able to get pre-2013. 

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 4 of 8
Paul-Mason
in reply to: cwhetten

I've had similar problems when adding the Knurling to a brass part NO Diamond Pattern plus the surface gets changed to gleaming bright Stainless Steel. Where as in IV 2012 apply a knurl to brass I got everything the Brass stayed as brass and the diamond pattern was inserted.

Now with IV2013 I'm having to waste time creating custom finishes libraries

IF the require knurling or the like I don't expect to have to edit anything I expect what I ask to be placed IE BRASS KNURLED to be exactly that. I expect every one else expects the material that they set in Iproperties to stay just as it should be surface and all and not have  extra work editing the surface texture and colors.

Here's a perfect example a Plain Brass

Brass Nut.png

Plain Brass Nut

Knerled 45.png

After applying Knurl 45

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 5 of 8
LT.Rusty

I'm seeing this as well, with structural members inserted from content center.  My workstation at the office has never had an earlier version of Inventor installed, though - I started with a blank hard drive and installed 2013, using desktop content, rather than the content center library in the Vault that we've migrated along since probably Inventor 2008/9 or so.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
4donwan4

I cannot explain why this occurs but this issue has been reported to the development team for correction, prior to this post. At this time there is no workaround to get these materials to sync up with the correct unified colors. We are working on this to correct the discrepancy.

Regards,

Don

Message 7 of 8
Paul-Mason
in reply to: 4donwan4

Thanks for acknowledging this problem we look forwarded to new of either a hot-fix or Service pack to resolve this for IV 2013 and all effected products.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
Message 8 of 8
blair
in reply to: Paul-Mason

With the changes to Materials and Appearances, starting in 2013, the have changed to a unified "Autodesk" appearances library. This in now concistant across Autodesk products. Unfortunatly these materials are more in line with the building side.  

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report