Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking Menu Fade Problem

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
whiteskulleton
1477 Views, 15 Replies

Marking Menu Fade Problem

I am using Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 and I have been having a problem with the marking menu deselecting the textbox after it fades out. Let me elaborate:

1. I am in a 2D sketch environment and have drawn a line or some type of sketch element.

2. I then right-click and drag to the general dimension command and release so that the command flashes showing that I have selected the command.

3. I then quickly select the line and click in the empty space to place the dimension while the general dimension command from the marking menu is fading away but hasn't quite disappeared yet.

4. Because I have the "Edit dimension when created" command selected in the applications menu, the textbox that controls the dimension immediately pops up and the value inside the textbox is highlighted so that I can type in a formula or dimension.

5. The general dimension command from the marking menu has not completely disappeared yet and I start typing a new value for the dimension.

6. The general dimension command from the marking menu finally disappears while I am typing the new dimension and the textbox becomes inactive and view behind it becomes active. Now, whatever I type onto the keyboard is sent as a command to Inventor rather than as text to the textbox. It is the same as creating a dimension and then activating the view behind the textbox. This is a problem because it stops perceiving my keyboard inputs as text and starts to view them as command inputs.

This is not limited to the general dimension command. This also happens in any environment where I must enter text after selecting a command.

Is there a way to disable the fading of the marking menu after one has right-click dragged to a command? Or is there a way to prevent the textbox from switching activity after the command finishes its fade out animation?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Well it has been about a year now and still no reply or solution to this issue. Since I last posted this, I have gotten a new workstation with different hardware and put Autodesk Inventor 2014 on it. This marking menu issue is still there which tells me that it is a software issue and not a hardware issue.

Let me try to explain the issue differently. You can select commands from the marking menu quickly by right clicking, dragging, and releasing the button without having the whole menu pop up. When you release the mouse button, a command then pops up and slowly fades away. As soon as the fading animation is done the inventor window is then activated and whatever is being typed into another popup window is now being typed into the inventor environment. Inventor now perceives whatever is being typed as a command.

Check the photos for an example
Note: You can right click and open the images in a new tab to make them bigger

Step 01.png

Step 02.png

Step 03.png

Step 04.png

So my question is:

Is there a way to remove the fading animation of a command or reduce the time it takes to fade?

Computer specs:

Processor: 2x Intel Xeon X5482 @ 3.2 GHz

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Memory: 16GB FB-DDR2 ECC (8x 2GB)

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro

Software: Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014

Inventor Info:

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2014 64-Bit Edition

Build: 222, Release: 2014 SP1 - Date: Tue 09/17/2013

Message 3 of 16

Seeing as how nobody has replied, here is a video to help clear things up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8cZC9JtfQr6SGZ2Q2pfM3FWaUU/edit?usp=sharing

Message 4 of 16
blair
in reply to: whiteskulleton

Unless it has something to do with your color scheme for the Windows. You only list SP1 for IV2014, there are a couple of updates for SP1.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 16

I updated Inventor to the update version 3 and nothing changed. I then right clicked on the Inventor icon>properties>Compatibility tab and the "Reduced color mode" checkbox is disabled so I can't edit the color mode. Any other suggestions.

Message 6 of 16
blair

What about your Windows color schemes, are you running standard resolution for you monitor and running something like the Windows Default color scheme. The video you posted showed some odd colors on your menu bars. I would also check that you are current on the lasts Microsoft Certified graphics card drivers for your system. In the Inventor Applications>Hardware Options, try either Performance, Quality or Compatibility settings.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 16
whiteskulleton
in reply to: blair

I am running windows 8.1 Pro and there doesn't seem to be a color scheme feature.

Windows Settings.png

The color button only changes the color of the of the bars. There is nothing like a windows aero scheme like there was in windows 7. I tried the different themes and there was no difference.

I tried messing around with the hardware options but there was no difference in that either. I usually leave it on the quality setting.

I also downloaded the most current driver (332.76) for the FX 3800 and that made no difference as well.

Message 8 of 16
blair

Make sure you have all the SP's and Updates for Inventor. This may help, other than that, just wait for further Updates from ADSK. You should be on SP1 Update 3 for IV2014 and Update 3 for IN2013 SP 2

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 16
whiteskulleton

I do have all the updates. Is this problem happening to you? What does it look like when you do it?

Message 10 of 16
blair

I don't have this problem, I'm also on a different O/S and I switched a number of years ago from Quadro cards to Nvidia GTX cards. Back in IV11 they added D3D and then moved away from OpenGL in IV2008 completely eliminating the need for OpenGL.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 16
whiteskulleton

The weird thing about this is that it is doing this on my Macbook Pro as well which is completely different from my workstation. It has windows 7 pro and is running Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 on it but it is still doing the same thing which doesn't make sense. The only similarity between my Macbook Pro and my workstation is that I am using the SpaceNavigator 3D mouse. I disabled the driver on my workstation and restarted Inventor but there was no change. I really don't understand how no one else is having this problem. It is a HUGE productivity issue for me beause I can't work at a fast speed. The problem is occuring for every single popup window.

Message 12 of 16
blair

No other Add-In's that you are using that is common to both machines?

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 16
Ray_Feiler

I can not react fast enough to reproduce this in 2012 but if I'm fast enough I can in 2014. Not much help, but at least I can reproduce it.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 14 of 16
mrattray

I've been agrivated by this problem since version 2012. I've seen it on completely different machines and in 2012, 2013, and 2014 versions with all updates applied. Different graphics cards (ATI and nVidia) and (obviously) different drivers. I have no solution.

Inventor 2013 SP2 UD5
Windows 7 SP 1
Dell Precision T5600
Intel Xeon 3.3GHz x 4 Cores
32 GB RAM
AMD FirePro V5900 (2GB)
237 GB SSD

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 16
whiteskulleton
in reply to: mrattray

Can anyone show a video of what happens when they try and do it?

Also, it might be easier to reproduce this problem if you increase your locate tolerance in the application options:

Application options > General > Selection > Locate Tolerance

Change it to like 10 and then try and reproduce the video or follow the images. The locate tolerance is pretty much how far away your cursor has to be from an entity or object to select it. I increase it to like 7 when I am moving very fast.

The only other addins that I use are the ones that come standard in Inventor.

Message 16 of 16
mrattray

This is still an issue in 2015 and has been posted about in multiple threads. I, for one, would like a solution ASAP.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report