Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the standard Content Center work.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Engibineer
1155 Views, 12 Replies

Making the standard Content Center work.

Hello,

My new company is running Inventor Routed Systems 2009 and something is up with the standard Content Center. I just came from another company running 2011, and I am used to just being able to click "Place from Content Center" and having it just work. Not so here. When I click on that button, I get this prompt:

Content log in.PNG

But, we have no server for this sort of thing. So, I tried to point Inventor to a network location where it can find a set of Content Center files.

application options.PNG

I also made sure to point the project to that location as well.

project.PNG

Still, I get the same prompt. How do I make it go away get get access to the Content Center?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ampster402
in reply to: Engibineer

Just curious, has anybody setup CC at your new job and if so, have you talked to them about it?

Or are you taking it upon yourself to setup CC, possibly without their blessing?

If you are merely pointing Inventor to a network location that contains already-created CC parts, that will not work.

I haven't used a version for awhile now that doesn't have the "Desktop Content Center" option, so you'll either need to search the forum (TONS of CC related "does not work" postings) or wait for someone who knows come along.

Message 3 of 13
Engibineer
in reply to: ampster402

@ampster402 wrote:

just curious, has anybody setup CC at your new job and if so, have you talked to them about it?

Or are you taking it apon yourself to setup CC, possibly without their blessing?

If you are merely pointing Inventor to a network location that contains already-created CC parts, that will not work.

I haven't used a version for awhile now that doesn't have the "Desktop Content Center" option, so you'll either need to search the forum (TONS of CC related "does not work" postings) or wait for someone who knows come along.

It's broken for everyone. On my first day folks were asking me how to fix it. The story I hear is that due to a combination of a server switch and some personnel turnover, it stopped working. I thought it would be a simple fix, as I explained in the OP, but apparently it is not. Supposedly we have a 2012 upgrade coming, but who knows when or if it will fix the problem. Until then I have my manager's blessing to make the current installation work, one way or another.

Message 4 of 13
ampster402

the search feature doesn't appear to like everybody here (some state it doesn't work at all).

I've done a search for how to configure content center and here's the results;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=Board%3A78&q=ho...

HTH

Message 5 of 13
SBix26

If I'm not mistaken, 2009 Content Library had to be served by installing ADMS (Autodesk Data Management Service) on your server, and that's what Inventor is asking you to do-- log in to the Content Center server.  This no longer exists, since the server switch took away the previous working copy.

The "Default Content Center Files" location is not the location of the libraries, but the location where content that you get from the libraries is stored.  It should be on your network somewhere, so that anyone working on a project can see it.  It may even be helpful to have each project have its own Content Center location so it's stored with the project; depends on your work flow.

The Inventor installation disks have pretty good documentation on them for setting up your Content Library server, in the Docs folder on disk 1.  The attached file may get you going.

Message 6 of 13
Engibineer
in reply to: SBix26

I've uncovered some new information on my company's problem. We do indeed have ADMS installed on a server, but I cannot successfully point Inventor at it. I am not sure why, but I suspect that somehow, some other service has come to occupy port 80 on that machine. So, I tried to follow this guide to change the port that ADMS was using. In doing so, I ran into a few issues that have me a little concerned. From my last post in that thread:

//

1. I do not see an 'AutoDesk EDM Server' on the list when I open services.msc. As far as Autodesk related items go, I only see an 'Autodesk Data Management Job Dispatch' and a 'SQL Server (AUTODESKVAULT)'.
  2. I could not find the file that you edit in step four.

//

Hopefully, with this information, some one can provide me with a few hints with which I can get my ADMS back!

Message 7 of 13
Engibineer

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to share the log file from the diagnostic test.

Message 8 of 13
SBix26

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I can tell you that our ADMS 2011 setup on a WinServer2003 machine, only for Content Center, looks the same as yours, except the list of services also includes 'SQL Server Agent (AUTODESKVAULT)'. 

I hope someone else jumps in here to help with the rest of it.  From your log file, it appears that almost everything is set up correctly and working as expected (including port 80), but there is one error and a number of warnings that need to be addressed.

Anyone?

Message 9 of 13
Engibineer
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I can tell you that our ADMS 2011 setup on a WinServer2003 machine, only for Content Center, looks the same as yours, except the list of services also includes 'SQL Server Agent (AUTODESKVAULT)'. 

I hope someone else jumps in here to help with the rest of it.  From your log file, it appears that almost everything is set up correctly and working as expected (including port 80), but there is one error and a number of warnings that need to be addressed.

Anyone?

Sbixler, do you have an 'Autodesk EDM Server' listed on services.msc? What about a 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Data Management Server 2009\Server\Webserver\Connectivity.EDMWS.Server.exe.config' file?

Message 10 of 13
SBix26

No, we do not have a service named 'Autodesk EDM Server' shown in the list.

No, there is no file Connectivity.EDMWS.Server.exe.config in the Program Files folder structure.  However, we're using ADMS 2011, so it may be different.  The only Connectivity....config files in the whole hierarchy are Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe.Config and Connectivity.WindowsService.JobDispatch.exe.Config.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Message 11 of 13
Engibineer

Actually, according to this post, since I have IIS installed, there shouldn't be an Autodesk EDM Server service listed...

Message 12 of 13
Engibineer

Alright, I've managed to achieve some incremental progress. I've been toying with ISS and I can now browse to 'http://localhost/TestASP/TestASPNetStatic.txt', but I have to go through a login prompt first. Logging in as Admin gets me past this prompt and displays the contents of 'TestASPNetStatic.txt'. The Autodesk Diagnostic Tool still fails to access though. I presume this happens because the tool does not have administrator login crudentials.

I can also navigate to 'http://localhost/AutodeskDM/Services/SecurityService.asmx', but I get the same prompt.

How do I keep this prompt from appearing and getting in the way? There's got to be a setting in IIS somewhere, right?

Message 13 of 13
Engibineer

Finally got it to work. Here's the summary of what our IT people did:

* Read article "http://autodesk.lithium.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Vault-Problem-Please-help/td-p/3100166"
* The issue must have been caused by demoting the old SBS server to a member server
* Followed information in the support article to try to troubleshoot the problem.
* Changed IIS authentication settings and permissions - did not fix problem
* Uninstalled IIS role
* Re-installed IIS role
* Repaired Autodesk Database Manager - still not working
* Followed article again - still not working
* Deleted local IIS user and restarted IIS - this re-created the local IIS user
* Followed support article again using the newly created IIS user - success

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report