Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making holes on a cylander

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Drtaylor
358 Views, 5 Replies

Making holes on a cylander

I am trying to Drill a series of holes on a cylander. I cannot find out how to start the sketch on this surface so that i can drill on the rounded part of the cylander.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Drtaylor

Make a tangent workplane to start your sketch on. If you don't know how, click on the workplane icon and hit F1... there are some pretty good sample~tutorials. -- Kent Assistant Moderator Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program "Drtaylor" wrote in message news:17223121.1076702055155.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I am trying to Drill a series of holes on a cylander. I cannot find out how to start the sketch on this surface so that i can drill on the rounded part of the cylander.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Drtaylor

You can not sketch on the cylinder, as Kent says, you either need to create a plane (possibly tangent to your cylinder) or sketch on one of the default planes.
Message 4 of 6
g.desbrisay
in reply to: Anonymous

Been trying this over and over, but cannot figure out how to create a tangent work plane.  My copy of Inventor 2013 running in Windows in Parallels on a Mac does not behave at all like the tutorials. 

Any guidance?

Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: g.desbrisay

Post screen shots

1. Expanded origin in browser

2. Workplane tool active

3. One of the two planes that go through the axis of the cylinder selected (this assumes you create the cylander at the origin)

4. Side of cylinder selected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
g.desbrisay
in reply to: JDMather

That worked.  Thanks!!

To create a hole in a cylinder you first have to create a workplane that is tangent to the cylinder:

In the browser, expand the Origin, and choose a plane like the XY plane or the YZ plane,

Select the workplane tool

Select the cylinder,

and then a workplane will appear that is tangent to the cylinder and parallel to the plane that

was choosen previously (this creates a workplane that is "tangent to surface and parallel to plane").

Once you have that new workplane you can now create a hole in the cylinder:

Select that plane by clicking on one of its edges,

enter sketch mode,

place a point on the workplane where you want the hole in the cylinder,

finish sketch mode,

choose the hole tool,

and create a hole starting at the point you created!

Thanks again!

Greg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report