Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a pipe saddle

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
anthony.desilva
1687 Views, 2 Replies

Making a pipe saddle

I need to make a reinforcing pipe saddle and thought it would be easier to start with a flat shape and roll it to the final shape but I'm having no luck.  Does anybody have an idea on how I would roll this shape about the Main_Axis?  The inside radius needs to conform to the parameter Riser_Pipe_OD and will be used in an assembly for a weldment.  See the file "Head_CF01_Saddle_Disch.ipt".

I also tried to loft the shape and see if I could flatten it but that didn't work as the projected 3D guide curves I was going to use are no longer associated to the original 2D sketch I used to project them.  I have no idea how or way that happened but I'm including that file as well if anyone thinks they may know what the problem is.

Then end result I'm looking for is a model that I can modify by changing three parameters and is sized and rolled correctly and that I can include in my fabricated assembly.  I also need a flat pattern of the part as a detail view so the shop can correctly cut the shape prior to rolling.  These parts are made from plate and not cut from pipe.

I have no experience with the sheet metal functions in Inventor and would appreciate any insight on the most efficient and stable modeling techniques.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
blair
in reply to: anthony.desilva

Start with using the Sheet Metal template. The Head Ring if "rolled" would need to be elliptical in shape to start with. The narrow portion of the elliptical shape will match your riser pipe radius and the long portion of the elliptical shape will match the arc length. Another sketch line across the ring and use the Fold command with the radius you need to fit over your pipe and the angle of bend to cover the head ring (almost cover).

I don't think most shops would try to change the angle as they are cutting the ring, the cut would be perpendicular to the surface.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 3
burikg71
in reply to: anthony.desilva

Thank you guys, actually this solution working.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report