Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Elements Independent in Pattern

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
DSNR
4027 Views, 20 Replies

Making Elements Independent in Pattern

I have been able to Pattern Assemblies and change an instance of that pattern to Independant in the past.

I am trying to do just that and the option doesnt show up when I right click.

Does anyone know of a time when this would happen, or is having the same problem with a posible solution???

Tags (2)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
msklein
in reply to: DSNR

ONLY TIME I KNOW OF IS WHEN YOU CLICK ON "ELEMENT 1"

MSK

Message 3 of 21
DSNR
in reply to: msklein

The only option when I right click on an element is "Suppres"

Message 4 of 21
msklein

OK, I GUESS I NEED TO VERIFY YOUR IV  VERSION AS I'M OUT OF IDEA'S.

Message 5 of 21
DSNR

I am using 2012.

I have herd that you cannont make independent a pattern of a pattern... any thoughts???

This time I am not working in a pattern of a pattern, but in my pattern there is an instance of another pattern and I am not trying to make those independant.

I know this is getting confusing sorry!

Message 6 of 21
SteveMDennis

I just tried this in beta2 build and I see what you mean. If you have a simple one level pattern you may make any element (not element1 because it is the source) independent. This is what I originally put in back in R4 or so.

Now that you can do patterns of patterns (added 2010?) that gets blocked for the top pattern AND the pattern-ed patterns...

I don't know why off the top of my head.

let me send an email to the guys who did pattern of pattern and find out for you (and me)

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 21
DSNR
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Much Appriciated!!!!

If you could please find out why if you have a pattern that has sub-assemblies and other patterns in it we cant take one of the sub-assemblies and make them independant.

Thanx

Message 8 of 21
mcgyvr

While you're at it Steve.. Find out who I've gotta screw to remove the limitations on patterns into browser folders. Smiley SurprisedSmiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 21
SteveMDennis
in reply to: mcgyvr

Mr. Mcgyvr,

We understand the restraints we put you under with some of our folder/dragging limitations unfortunately.

It is always front and center in my mind and others that have worked on the browser for years.

Enabling this is not easy for a variety of in depth technical reasons and that is why it wasn't done initially. Our browser controls compute order and other things that are easily broken if we allow full control over location.

We won't forget about this one but I cannot honestly say when we can supply an alternative.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 21
msklein

Steve, while we got you why is it so hard to rename a pattern in the tree. I really like to rename my patterns so I know hat part they are tied to.

MSK

Message 11 of 21
SteveMDennis

Well MSK we've sort of highjacked this thread but what do you mean difficult to rename patterns?

You do a slow double click in the text area just like any other browser node that supports renaming?

Seems to work no problems for me. Can you give me any more details?

Yes I am aware that F2 is not hooked up correctly to windows rename but that _is_ a different thread! 🙂

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 21
msklein

Yea, it's a hijack. But I was working on a lot of patterns this morning and I was trying to help this guy earlier. So I was just checking to see what other answers he was receiving Sometimes I have to close out the assy and reopen it to get the slow double click to work. The "F2" would be great. But I just seem to have had this problem for a long time, I can’t tie the oddity of not working to any previous command. It does seem to happen more on larger files.

MSK

Message 13 of 21
SteveMDennis

I got confirmation from another developer that making an element that has a pattern in it independent was not completed when we did pattern of pattern.

I'm sorry that that seems to be affecting your workflow.

I'm interested in hearing more about the subassembly workflow though... I wonder if we can arrive at a workaround for yoru issue.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 21
DSNR

I came up with a work around, but it was quite tedious.

It only becomes a problem in large assemblies where it takes upwards of 1.5 hrs to complete an array only to find I couldn’t/cant make an element independent.

So if I am correct... Any array/pattern cannot be edited to make an element independant if there is an array in that array/pattern!!!

Are they going to change this?

Message 15 of 21
SteveMDennis

I have added it to our list of desired improvements, that is all I can say in my position. Sorry.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 21
DSNR

Thanx for the Info... Look forward to the improvement!!!

Message 17 of 21
nilesh.khairnar

Pattern of  Pattern .. make independent option off... if you tried on single pattern you can see Independent option. 

Message 18 of 21
arkelec

@SteveMDennis I know this thread is 8 years old, but this still seems to be impossible - making an element independent which is a pattern of a pattern - there is no option for it.  Am I correct, or have I missed something.

Pattern Independent Items.png

Message 19 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: arkelec

Hi! Indeed, this particular workflow is not yet supported. Here is an idea on Inventor Ideas forum. Please vote for it.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/make-elements-in-a-pattern-nested-within-another-patte...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 21
aromanoJL4RC
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, 

Inventor 2018 Pro

In an assembly, 

when I right lick on an element in a pattern the "Independent" option is grayed out.. Any idea how to fix this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report