Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing references SIMPLE EXAMPLE-cross part references, adaptativity -

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
domel123
560 Views, 9 Replies

Loosing references SIMPLE EXAMPLE-cross part references, adaptativity -

I have three parts 1, 2, 3,.

1 is grounded

2 refers to 1

3 refers to 1 and 2

I change 1 and references get lost.

INVENTOR 2011

WIN 7

32bit

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Inv_kaos
in reply to: domel123

You already have an unresolved reference in your part 2. If I redefine it, then add some sketch lines between the two parts, extrude to make a rectangle, I now have three part geometries. Say I chamfer the outside edge in part 1, it updates in part 2 correctly. See picture.

If you change geometry that another part is dependent upon then it must not affect the rebuilding of the part. Things like sketch constraints that are now in conflict, or adding another face to a part so that your sketch has no clear attachment point, etc. All about what part of it you want to be flexible.

What exactly are you trying to create with adaptivity?

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Inventor Professional 2013, Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics 2013
Windows 7 x64 Core i7 32GB Ram FX2000
Message 3 of 10
domel123

I already have the unresolved reference because attached the result. Please check the video to see how it is created.

You can experiment using the file below.

When you change the width (not length and not extrusion) of part6 it appears.

please check the video:

http://grozny.spox.info/vid.avi 

It is just a simple example, but it hapens many times. I have to refine references over and over again in my projects.

All help will be appreciated.

Message 4 of 10
Inv_kaos

There is nothing in your video.

When I use your projected geometry it breaks. When I delete your projected references and project them my self it doesn't break, no matter what width I change it to.

Also why is part 6 adaptive..

What are you trying to create anyway, perhaps I can try that and see if it works?

Please mark as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question or "Kudos" if you found it useful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stew, AICP
Message 5 of 10
domel123
in reply to: Inv_kaos

Part 6 is adaptive because its length depends on Part 5.

I am trying to construct something more complex. I posted it 2 days ago, with similar problem.

So the question remains:
Why sometimes the references brake  and  you have to renew them.

My reference breaks even if I just add another constraint between parts 5 and 6 without changing any shape. 

It is all about the sequence of actions.

My reference brakes because I made it and  then I constrained parts 5 and 6.

If I constrained parts 5 and 6 first and then made  the reference it would last.

I can't understand it and it makes the design very frustrating.

Message 6 of 10
domel123

Please check that file. This is the same problem in my project. I have no idea how to cope with it.

I want to control the shape of the container with szkic.ipt, but everytime I change it, everything goes wrong.

It works only when I suppress Klapa Górna.ipt

Message 7 of 10
Inv_kaos

I think the assembly file was missing from the zip.

Some things I would do first.

1. Fully constrain all sketches.

2. Make sure all parts are full constrained.

3. Ensure adaptivity (either feature or sketch) is being driven in the correct direction and only one direction at a time.

4. Look into master sketch / derived parts and multi-body master parts. Both of which can handle this sort of thing much better.

Adaptivity can work but it can be a bit temperamental, even if you set your model up correctly.

Stew, AICP
Message 8 of 10
domel123

Ok, now am I sending it all.

Message 9 of 10
Inv_kaos

The part 'Tyl' is missing..

Also why are you including your ends in the sheet metal part? They should be separate parts or you wont be able to flatten it later. Also are you going to be able to fold this part, it looks like it will have to be welded together from a couple of pieces.

Instead of creating all the faces I would have used a contour flange to create the whole shape in one go.

I will attach an example using a multibody part and a derived surface tomorrow, no time now sorry. I think it will work much better for what you are after.

Stew, AICP
Message 10 of 10
domel123

The part 'Tył' is there. Remember that it is written with 'ł'.

I did it that way to be able to manipulate the surfaces using one drawing. Otherwise (using fold function) I would have to change all the angles separately or use many variables.

Moreover the sides are not rectangular so it has to be done that way

It is unfoldable so it works pretty well until I add Klapa Górna.

The question is:

If all is correct, can I rely on "adaptivity" or just don't use that function at all?

This time and in many cases it fails without a reason.

Dominik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report